Hello / Lens Comparison

Edit My Images
No
To start with, a big hello to you all. This is my first post here. I know milou from another forum and he mentioned this place.

I'm pretty new to 'proper' photography and I'm trying to learn the ropes. I bought an EOS 300D a few months ago and it was/is my first ever SLR (never mind D-SLR). I've got a Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens as well as the kit one but that's about it so far (apart from a polariser, spare batteries etc).

The reason I'm posting is because I'm very tempted to get a 17-40 L lens but I'm unsure whether a beginner like me will really notice any difference. If any of you have the 17-40 L as well as the kit (18-55) lens, could you do a comparison shot for me? A locked-off-on-tripod with identical settings for both shots type thing?

If anyone could, I'd be eternally grateful.

Many thanks.
Jamey / fingerz

Hello fingerz and welcome to the forums.

I suppose we should thank milou as well for pointing you in our direction :thumb:

I can't help you with a direct comparison of the 18-55 against the 17-40 but I can recommend the latter very highly, I use one as my main lens for the majority of my photography. I am however a little confused as to why when you already have the 18-55 and 50mm lenses you would want to add another lens that covers approximately the same range?

If its for quality then the 17-40 L is about the same as the 50mm prime that you already have but allot of that being apparent will depend on your photography skill and being able to get the best from your equipment.

As a relative beginner (from your opening post) I would guess that the two lenses you already have would be good enough to tide you over till you have some more experience with the 300D and only after finding the limitations would spending money on a better lens to replace your current ones be a sensible move.

All the above assumes a lot on my part, maybe you would like to post a few pictures in the Photo sharing section of the forums so that we can see how best to help you?

Cheers Steve.

I'm thinking you might be right as well. I did a comparison of the type I said above (locked-off tripod, same settings for both) between the two lenses I have and the 50mm seemed less sharp than the 18-55 but that might be down to my lack of experience.

I'll think about posting some pics. Might have to build up to it. I'm not very good :)

The 50mm should be much better than the 18-55 lens if you get the setup correct, thats assuming both lenses are functioning correctly.

Don't think about posting photos, we are here to help and we all where at your stage once. We never forget that and our aim is to help everyone get the best results from their equipment, improve their photography but above all enjoy the hobby and the forums.

We try to aim our advice at your level, as you improve we become more critical but never would we insult or mean to offend. :)

Hmm... Well I was taking fairly close, semi-macro shots of the stitching on the side of a sneaker, indoors in a medium-bright room (not direct sunlight). I used a tripod and took both pics at ISO 100, f/11, six-second shutter speed.

I'll have a look and offer some critique after I have eaten. :)

Back