HELP Canon 300 2.8 loose barrel fix ?

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
I ahve the canon 300 2.8L IS and the main barrel is loose.. I looked under the rubber grip but they are tight and presumably hold the section above it like the 70-200 works.. but this the lower section just above the controls.. i lifted the metal sign as theres a gap under the 400 but not the 300

Anyone know how to fixe the loose barrel (apart from send it off)

ta ?:)

I ahve googled but nothing :(

Cheers @Box Brownie unfortunatly not my lens on there or pointers to how.. thanks anyways ..

I'm not certain about the use of "above" in your initial post Tony so I'll go with "forward of" (towards to big end) or "behind" (towards the lens mount).

The main part of the barrel (forwards of and including the focus ring) are part of a longer assembly that passes through the section with the switch panel and is secured by 6 screws that are positioned just behind the tripod ring and point forwards (ie, along the lens axis). These screws secure the overall assembly but if the problem is within the assembly itself then I suspect it requires professional help.

Bob

These screws secure the overall assembly but if the problem is within the assembly itself then I suspect it requires professional help.

Yes the focus ring at the end towards the tripod thats loose.. i did think it might be those 6 screws but they are tight ....so internal... crikey :(
cheers @Canon Bob

I may be missing something but I can't see any way to access the other securing screws without removing the 6 at the back and pulling the whole assembly out through the section with the tripod mount. The guy who sorted your 400/2.8 might be able to offer a more definitive answer.

Bob

I may be missing something but I can't see any way to access the other securing screws without removing the 6 at the back and pulling the whole assembly out through the section with the tripod mount. The guy who sorted your 400/2.8 might be able to offer a more definitive answer.

Bob

Yeagh I don't know if thats a good idea for me to do :( I ahve looked and tighened everything.. took the control panel off last night to see if any holding screws under there..... aaargh :( looks like if needs sending away ..

@Canon Bob have you ever removed the 6 screws and seperated ? has anyone ? hmmm is it safe? :)

My opinion is based on looking at diagrams as I've never stripped a 300/2.8 down and mine's the MKII version now (although assembly looks to be pretty similar).

Back