Help canon eos50d or nikon300

Edit My Images
Yes
I am looking for some help and opinions. I am the business of selling reptiles,insects and other wierd and wondedful creatures. I am looking to get some great shots and to do a lot of macro work as these animals have some very stunning features. But I am torn between the canon eos50d or the nikon 300. I have read alot of reviews and most of the experts say the d300 is the slightly better camera. I would like to here what you guys/gals have to say

Karl

Hi and welcome to the forum - I shoot a lot of macro and use the D300 with a sigma 105mm macro and i very pleased with the outcome but if your going to use it for macro mostly and you want to go beyond 1:1 then look at a cannon MP-E 65 lens and a suitable body - go and try some body's in Jessops a find which one you feel most comfortable with.

Thank you, this was the package I was looking to buy. do you think I would be better off just buying the body and another lens. I would like to use the camera for other things but would really like to do some good macro. I have looked at your gallery and wow some great shots

Personally i would'nt bother with that kit - the 50mm lens is the only one worth having and there only about £70.00 to buy - have a look at www.camerapricebuster.com for some ideas on cost - if you mainly want to do macro you will need a macro lens 1:1 and ideally some off camera flash like a SB600 or SB800 or if your feeling flush a R1C1 kit

I don't think Nikon has an answer to the MP-E 65 does it?

unfortunately no - i have to make do with extension tubes and bellows:shake: - the MP-E 65 and Cannon is the way to go for greater than 1:1 macro.

Think I have a lot to learn. maybe it would be easier, quicker and cheaper to learn to draw

Is there a lens that is better than a 1.1 bu not as complicated as the canon me 65

Is there a lens that is better than a 1.1 bu not as complicated as the canon me 65
In a word .... no.

Do you really need better than 1:1? If so, then the Cann MP-E 65 is really your only route, other than to start mucking around with extension tubes and such like.

Don't forget to budget for a decent tripod, possibly some focussing rails, and decent lighting units. That will cost. But on the other hand, you don't need much of the stuff in that eBay package and in fact you don't need a camera as sophisticated as the D300 or the 50D for what you're after.

If you really need the MP-E then the 50D will be okay. There's a BUT in here though.
Going for something like the EF100 or Sigma 105 and extension tubes (gets you around 2:1) then a 40D (cheaper) may be a better option. To get a reasonable DOF on macro shots, you'll need to stop the aperture down a fair bit. The 50D's higher pixel density will show diffraction softening earlier than a lower density sensor and inevitably you'll end up with an aperture compromise....the 40D will give you a little more latitude to play with.
If you intend to use the body with telephoto's then the 50D has advantages over the 40D.

Bob

Back