Wales Help - Ebbw Vale parking.

Name
Gordon
Edit My Images
Yes
In early October I shall be visiting Ebbw Vale sports centre to photograph my granddaughters competing in a gymnastic competition. I will be there for 2 days and intend to travel in my 6mtr (about the size of an Ocado delivery van) motorhome . The sports centre website says that there is free parking in the multi storey car park. This indicates that there is no parking on site, Multistorey car parks are not motorhome friendly so I need to know if there is anywhere close by that I can park up for the day. I will move to a campsite overnight. I will have my dog with me and will leave her in the MH for about 45mins while I photograph my grandchildren so it has to be close by. I have always had luck with my requests on here before so fingers crossed this time.

From reading Drew Buckley's Fotovue book on the area I am close to "waterfall country" so will stay a few days to photograph this area. As an alternative I could pop down there (From Hampshire) in the next couple of weeks instead (and check out Ebbw Vale parking). Does anyone have up to date knowledge of this area, with the odd weather we have been having are the waterfalls in good flow?

Any help would be appreciated.

I've not been to Ebbw for quite a while, I grew up in the next valley over (Tredegar, Howy Valley). I know exactly the multi storey you mention, it's quite claustrophopic in there and 'ceilings' are low, fine for cars/bikes but that's it.

Parking outside of it with a car was always a challenge.

The new sports centre is just down the valley from the old one. There used to be a carpark close to the new one but I believe it's now an Aldi. I wouldn't think daytime parking at the centre would be a problem.

I wonder if you could speak to the sports centre and explain your situation? They may let you overnight on site. I'm not familiar with the new centre but I would imagine they'd have onsite parking and might let you hide in a corner overnight.

The Garden Festival was staged in Ebbw Vale in 1992 and the site then got turned into a shopping mall. It became 'The Festival Park.' There is now an owl sancturay there. There used to be ample, free parking but how that might've changed, I'm not sure.

What I would say with certainty though is that you will be in the middle of a beautiful area. There would be campsites etc not too far away if your happy to travel a few miles in the mornings. You're not far from Brecon, Crickhowell, Llangynidr and Abergavenny is a lovely market town. Just a bit further along, you have Rhayader, (Red Kite Country) and also the big Victorian dams at Elan Valley, although these 2 might be a bit far for a commute to Ebbw Vale.

If you're prepared to 'rough' it for a night, there's a road called locally 'The Moor's Road' and not far away from Ebbw Vale at all, probably 5 miles or so, if that. You'll leave civilisation behind and feel like you're in the middle of nowhere. There where spots to pull in, viewpoints etc. (see below). How access might've changed, I'm not sure but it gives you something to look into.

If I still lived there, you could've had a spot outside my house, no problem. (y)

Screenshot (31).jpg

Screenshot (32).jpg

Last edited:
I will ask about. I know someone who comes down regularly in their motor home but won't speak to them til weekend.. Will let you know. Around the sports centre def not the car park. Bear with me. I also drive around by there a lot. My sister practically lives on the doorstep.

Dale and Smiffster thank you for your responses they are very much appreciated. There are campsites within a few miles of the venue and I do not mind paying to stay on them overnight. A quick look on Google earth showed a couple of pull ins nearby but that would be very hit and miss. I thought I had found a solution with the town station car park, which appears to be just a few minutes walk from the venue but parking appears to be permit only now.

I haven't been in Ebbw vale recently either (used to work there) But I will warn you the heads of the Valley road (A465) has extensive roadworks on it at the moment, with the road closed some days, (today for example) there are diversions but some of the temp roads are narrow-ish and some of the signage leaves a lot to be desired.
The good news is the locals are friendly.

Station car park is your best bet. There is an overflow across the road which will probably suit your van better. I take it the venue is the leisure centre? If so, it’s just across the way.

Have just seen your post re the permit parking at the station, didn’t know that had been brought in. Another alternative could be the hospital car park, I think it might be time limited to a couple of hours but plenty of room.

Additional edit, I think you’ll be fine at the station car park, I don’t think the permit parking was introduced, certainly wasn’t late last year when I parked there. I should be up that way over the next couple of weeks, I can take a look for you.

Last edited:
Steve557
That's great information, thank you. I only said about the permit parking at the station because I read about it and Google earth made it look like the bays were marked. If you are in that area confirmation would be an added bonus but the information you have given so far gives me confidence that I will be able to park close to the venue.

I've spent many a night in south wales in laybys and car parks in my camper van. If you're too close to centres of population there is always a chance that a car load of boyos will arrive after the pubs close and either -

a) keep you awake for several hours playing loud music to smoke dope to or impress the girlfriends with. Or worse.
b) torch the car and do a runner.

TBH I would be quite wary of spending the night in or near any one of those valleys towns like Ebbw Vale. Somewhere like Crickhowell or Abergavenny in theory would be safer but I was once frightened enough in a remote layby near the latter to drive off in the middle of the night.

Edit: that warning would include the car parks on the Moors road mentioned above.

Last edited:
Jerry12953. Thanks for your input. I will stay overnight at a recognised camp site. I just need to park near the sports hall so that I can leave my dog in the MH for an hour whilst I photograph my granddaughters in their gymnastics competition.

I've spent many a night in south wales in laybys and car parks in my camper van. If you're too close to centres of population there is always a chance that a car load of boyos will arrive after the pubs close and either -

a) keep you awake for several hours playing loud music to smoke dope to or impress the girlfriends with. Or worse.
b) torch the car and do a runner.

TBH I would be quite wary of spending the night in or near any one of those valleys towns like Ebbw Vale. Somewhere like Crickhowell or Abergavenny in theory would be safer but I was once frightened enough in a remote layby near the latter to drive off in the middle of the night.

Edit: that warning would include the car parks on the Moors road mentioned above.
When I worked up there I'd often have a snooze in a layby (14 or 16 hour days). Trouble is a lot of the ones near Merthyr seem to be "dogging" sites. Car after car would pull in flash various lights and then when they got no response drive off. When I told my mate he explained about dogging and the codes of light signals. Apparently certain lights mean different things. These were on main roads as well. Dont know if it's the same now.

When I worked up there I'd often have a snooze in a layby (14 or 16 hour days). Trouble is a lot of the ones near Merthyr seem to be "dogging" sites. Car after car would pull in flash various lights and then when they got no response drive off. When I told my mate he explained about dogging and the codes of light signals. Apparently certain lights mean different things. These were on main roads as well. Dont know if it's the same now.

I didn't know about the light signals but I had a very unpleasant experience at the car park for Kenfig pool near Porthcawl. I was a bit naive at the time and wondered what all the after dark comings (!) and goings were all about. I was feeling very uncomfortable by the time the vigilantes arrived. I just crawled into some clothes, turned on the engine and just drove and drove.......

I didn't know about the light signals but I had a very unpleasant experience at the car park for Kenfig pool near Porthcawl. I was a bit naive at the time and wondered what all the after dark comings (!) and goings were all about. I was feeling very uncomfortable by the time the vigilantes arrived. I just crawled into some clothes, turned on the engine and just drove and drove.......
I dont know the code but a certain set of lights means they want to watch, another set means they can join in, and another means your putting on the show etc etc. Best bet is to ignore them. Thats normally worked for me. They seem to give a set of signals, if no reply they usually saunter off to another car park. Mind I avoid that car park now :)

Jerry12953. Thanks for your input. I will stay overnight at a recognised camp site. I just need to park near the sports hall so that I can leave my dog in the MH for an hour whilst I photograph my granddaughters in their gymnastics competition.
Do you actually need to move the MH?
Is simply getting a Taxi / Uber from the campsite and back an option - you have the expense of paying for the taxi, but remove the need to move the MH, and the hassle of finding somewhere to park (Just got back from 2 weeks in Australia with a 7m MH, Uber was definitely the easiest way to get from sites into the town centres!)

I will have my greyhound with me so she will need a place to stay while I am in the sports centre. The MH is the best option.

In Tredegar (about 2 miles from EV) is Woofles greyhound rescue. The owner Caroline Pitt is friendly and helpfull. Its a farm on top of a hill. I dont know if she does allow camping but it wouldnt hurt to ask. (she was a keen photographer too)

Back