***HELP**** Extension tube stuck on lens

Edit My Images
Yes
In my wisdom :bang:I thought I'd give these cheap extension tubes a go. :shake: They arrived, no instructions. So I put them onto the camera body and screwed onto my lens and guess what?

The bloody tube is stuck to my lens and i cannot get it off. Any suggestions?

Lisa

do you need to remove things in a particular order?

ie lens from tube then tube from body or vice versa?

do you need to remove things in a particular order?

ie lens from tube then tube from body or vice versa?

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I've tried that but no good.

The silver thread on the first tube is just stuck on my lens and I cannot get it off. Obviously, I don't want to force it and break my lens. I should have known these would be rubbish but I didn't expect them to be this bad.

Lisa

Just out of curiousity, sorry that I don't have any help right now, but which brand tubes are these?

are both the lens and extension off camera body. If so a long shot ive used on tubing is, wrap the lens in a soft cloth and heat the extension very carefully on low heat with a hair dryer. rotate dryer around lens ext. have someone keep slight tension on tube to start rotation in direction of unscrewing.as i say long shot sometimes works.failing that sewing machine oil make sure drips into ext not lens.hope you sort it.
Regs dicko

Is this actually a screwed on thread that's jammed on tight, rather than stuck latch or catch?

If so, you might want to try placing the tube end flat against a rubber sole of a shoe and using that to hold it still whilst you twist the lens. The rubber gives you a flat and even pressure against the extension and can be a good way to remove stubborn filters too. :)

are both the lens and extension off camera body. If so a long shot ive used on tubing is, wrap the lens in a soft cloth and heat the extension very carefully on low heat with a hair dryer. rotate dryer around lens ext. have someone keep slight tension on tube to start rotation in direction of unscrewing.as i say long shot sometimes works.failing that sewing machine oil make sure drips into ext not lens.hope you sort it.
Regs dicko

Thank you I'll give that a go when my husband gets back. I'm just glad it's my kit lens and not one of my decent lenses.

Lisa

Is this actually a screwed on thread that's jammed on tight, rather than stuck latch or catch?

If so, you might want to try placing the tube end flat against a rubber sole of a shoe and using that to hold it still whilst you twist the lens. The rubber gives you a flat and even pressure against the extension and can be a good way to remove stubborn filters too. :)

Hi I think it's a screwed on thread that's jammed on tight.

If the op's tip doesn't work, I'll give your suggestion a go too. My husband has tried to unscrew it but no joy.

I might have to end up taking it into work (fire station) so the lads can cut the tube off.

Lisa

If neither of these two methods work, and you've got the pair (lens and tube) off your camera, then you may want to have a go by pushing the back end of the tube against your bed mattress and while pushed down rotate to undo. The springiness of the mattress will hold back some pressure while at the same time offer a lot of grip to hold the tube in place while the lens moves.

I've used the above method to get a filter off a badly damaged lens. Worked very well.

I got a pair of cheap tubes from ebay to play with, there is a little silver screw on the very end you have to push back (towards the camera/camera mount end).

Don't know if it helps.

Unsure of where exactly on Button Moon you are, if its the one near me then take it to a branch of Timpsons ( Cobbler type place ) they have a nifty little rubber ball type thing that they use to remove the backs off watches - may be worth a try ?

On the side of my ebay tubes, there's a knurled knob that looks like it should turn. It's actually a spring release, pull it away from the lens. This is true for the tubes for Canon. If your using Nikon mount, it might be a bit different, but probably a similar mechanism of some sort.

Oops, should have read the entire thread, rekkit beat me to it :D

Hope we are both right and it comes off easy, mine is for a Nikon mount, so they sound universal across a range of cameras.

That they do. Did the tubes ever come off Lisa ?

Hi

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Thanks for all the replies, I printed them off and took them into work so we could try all suggestions if needed.

Well, my excuse is I'm just a woman and all I think about is babies and shoes :LOL: - as others said above, there was a little silver screw. My two colleagues poked about with a thin sharp instrument (or er missus) and then put the little screw in and discovered that you did indeed have to use it as a release.

Hey presto, we were then able to get it off the lens.

The tubes were rubbish and wouldn't work in manual mode so I'm sending them back to the seller. That's the first time I've ever had anything duff off fleabay.

Thanks again for all the replies, greatly appreciated. :clap:

lisa

For these to be useful properly, you need to have a fully manual lens so you can adjust the aperture and focus as there's no electrical contacts. I'm using an old OM mount 50mm for this as I can then at least control the settings. Using my canon lenses was at best really tough as there was no DOF. The camera sets the lens to wide open.

Canon EF lenses can be pre set to an aperture for use on tubes with no contacts. Set the camera to say f8, press the depth of field preview button and remove the lens whilst the button is still pressed. lens stays at f8 until you refit it to the camera.

thanks to rekkit for providind the solution.i think weve all learnt a bit from this one. crazy horse glad its sorted and thanks for the warning of cheap exts.

Back