Help-flashgun newbie!

Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone

I thought id request help because i basically bought a canon 450 which im loving, however i also purchased a jessops 360AFDC flashgun and when she(sales assistant) showed me in the shop it really worked well. Now that ive bought it home, i just cant seem to get it to work! Ive read the manual, i know how to change the settings, played around with the ISO and the mode, the zoom?! :thinking:

Its bugging me because id like to use it, it flashes! but thats about it?! it doesnt have any effect on the photo like it did in the shop :confused::help:

Many thanks for any suggestions or advise in advance

I'm no expert,

But it might help you get advice if you posted some images up perhaps.....

I'm no expert,

But it might help you get advice if you posted some images up perhaps.....

with the exif data intact so we can see your settings.

If it's just a manual flash, then just it's really just a case of playing to see what works best. Try using manual on your camera, set to 1/250 and f7-ish at ISO100 and see what results you get with the flash on 3/4 power. If it's too dark either open the aperture more (lower f-number) or slow the shutter down to 1/125 or similar. Too bright, do the opposite!

It's not just a manual or auto-thyistor type. It's got AF-assist and the works.

It may be the problem of reflective objects within the scene, which can be overcome by bouncing from the ceiling or wall.

The flash isn't hugely powerful so I would recommend trying f/5.6 with ISO400.

thanks for all the responses, i shall try this 2moro and see what works best

thanks again!

Back