Help, I have a dilemma!

Name
Kyle Shearer
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey guys, as some of you may know, I broke the shutter on my Canon EOS 300D and managed to fix it so that I now can use it, albeit with manual focus only.

My dilemma is:

Should I get the camera fixed, and, if so, how much will this cost? How long will it take? And is it likely to break again? I realise that it is quite an old body so...

Should I upgrade, I've been looking at the EOS 30D & 40D (or maybe even the EOS 400d). I think that the extra money spent on a new body would probably be more worthwhile, in the long term anyway!

I was looking to upgrade, but not just quite so soon, but maybe it is a sign (for me to spoil myself)! Haha!

I already have some decent glass so I'm not switching from Canon, thats for sure!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

To get it fixed is probably going to cost nearly as much as the camera is now worth:crying:

Time for an upgrade(y)

I would upgrade and if you can afford get the 40D, how much would I love that camera? :)

Wow, thanks for the quick response! That is what I was expecting to hear really. Well, I think I could probably afford the 30d, how I would love the 40d but I don't think it's going to happen! :(

I personally wouldn't bother. It's likely to cost what a replacement 300D would cost. Might aswell buy another second hand if youre gonna do that...and have two bodies...one working, one dodgy :D

That said, if you really do want to upgrade, this would be a good time to do it.

I had shutter damage on my 350D repaired. It cost about £150 to do the work. Its fine now and has been for a while, but I don't use it as much now because I bought a 30D soon after anyway.

If you're going for an upgrade the 40D is the way to go. Or a 30D if cash is an issue. There's not a huge amount in the 40D that makes it a worthwhile upgrade from the 30D, but, from a 300D the difference will be very apparent.

Cheers guys, I think I'll go for the 30D, I can't really afford the 40D at present and I REALLY want a new/working camera!

Looks like you can get a 30D for silly money now (£469 at John Lewis?) I made the upgrade about 9 months ago and have never regretted it.

Back