Help!! Macro on Canon G9

Edit My Images
No
Hi, if anyone who can help me with my problem, I will be most grateful!!! It's a little long-winded, so please forgive me. Basically, I am an amateur in every sense of the word. However, I use my camera very often for photographing loose diamonds. The camera I have been using is a Canon SD200 (IXUS) which is now three years old. It has been fantastic until now, and sadly it decided to quit working the other day. So, I got a G9 today in the hopes that the improved macro (1cm instead of 3cm) and higher megapixels etc would allow me to take even better photos than what I was doing on the SD200. However, I have had a little try with the G9 and seem to be struggling a little. Basically, with the SD200 I would normally stick it in macro mode, then zoom in 3.2x (the max it would allow) and take the photo as close to the stone as I could without the picture blurring. For stones bigger than 4mm I could usually fill the screen with the diamond and have a nice clear picture. However, with the G9, once it is in macro mode, you cannot zoom at all or else the picture is immediately blurry, and instead of being able to have the lens as close as 1cm, it goes up to 20cm or whatever.... Now, I am completely confused, because on first glance it would appear that the SD200 actually takes closer photos than the G9, although the G9 are sharper and better quality. Am I using the camera completely wrong? I would have assumed that I could do basically the same thing with the G9 as I did with the SD200 and have better pictures and be able to get closer to the subject. If someone could please tell me what I am doing wrong, I would be most grateful! Also, would a macro lens help? Thanks for any help!

I have a Canon S3 & it has 2 macro settings, so to get the closest focussing you have to press & hold the macro button.

It may be worth checking to see if the G9 has a similar system, otherwise you'll have to take them with no zoom & crop them instead, you should have plenty of resolution.

Or get some much larger diamonds;)

Tried the pressing the button and holding it, it just switches back and forth from macro to normal until i let go... so no luck there. i have tried a couple with no zoom, and cropping them, but it is frustrating that they are still not as good as the photos from my SD200. And of course, the biggest problem is that some of my diamonds are easier to photograph because they are big, but I still need good photographs of the very small ones.... thanks for your comments though!

Back