help me back from the wilderness

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
I havent used a camera in anger for months now :( my new course is sucking up all my free time and as Im not working my disposable income is pretty teeny so cant lure myself back behind the lens with some unwarranted purchase. I need a new schtick people and while I could pull out the digi and click away for hours I reckon the bron focuses the mind better and forces you to make key decisions. So I need something to aim for/emulate/guidance/abuse whatever you reckon will get a bit of fire in the belly.

For what its worth, 150mm lens on there as portraits are my bag esp with the bron and theres a colour film loaded at the mo. I have willing victims to a certain extent, my coursemates dont know about my camera habits (my other mates know about it all too well) so they wont be as relaxed as id like-any tips for a look they can hold/something they can do to offset the rabbit in the headlights look most folk pull when a camera is trained on them.

im rambling, fire away.

150 is long ish on MF so what about shooting candids. It'd be nice to have fast BnW for that (for my shooting style at least). It's a bit new so could get some new juices going?

I'll find you some more ideas too

Hi Dave, if you fancy we can meet up and go and shoot some stuff in downtown Derby?

Dave...just an idea.

Buy a really old camera; one that has just a box and a lens; and take 36 exposers ; one every 15 mins of daylight....

Nothing spectacular; or earth shattering ; just for you to plan for 15 mins and press the shutter.

A year later; this one day will always be with you

A series called ' a day in the life of Dave'.....

Just an idea

150 is long ish on MF so what about shooting candids. It'd be nice to have fast BnW for that (for my shooting style at least). It's a bit new so could get some new juices going?

I'll find you some more ideas too

^^^^WHS^^^^

A series of candid portraits of your mates doing what they do, drinking beer etc. A mate has started scanning stuff that he took in the 80's and he regularly sends me pics that send me rattling memory lane. It's a real challenge as well, candid portraits in poor lighting with a camera the size of a small car.

So do it, your mates will love you forever although not for about 25 years:D

I'm just down the road from you in Ashby Dave, if you want to meet up and shoot some film sometime I'm more that willing if I'm around. Might even let you try some of my Bronica gear for size before some of it gets sold;).

And 150 aint that long, even 500 ain't that long.

I know it's already been said, but I'm not far from Derby either (near Long Eaton) and would be up for a meet up. I can even bring the large format gear as well to show you a real film camera :D

i think film and conventional is the friendliest forum of an already welcoming site! Thanks for all the offers guys but I may have to be solo for the timebeing, 4 exams that cover 2 modules are rearing their head so ill be a bit of a hermit for the next fortnight sadly. I never realised so many TP toggers were so close and ill def try to catch up with all of you, esp Mr Pips for some bike routes (plus I emailed Kate? Tea and cake? before I moved back to ask about a pedal sometime)

i think ill drag the bron into uni tomorrow and try rattle off a few shots while we start the revision, in fact I could maybe try a yearbook style project....see I knew posting here always helps!

Aye, she'll be up for a pedal sometime too.

Looking forward to seeing your stuff back on flickr.

i think ill drag the bron into uni tomorrow and try rattle off a few shots while we start the revision, in fact I could maybe try a yearbook style project....see I knew posting here always helps!

thats a great idea :D We have a revision club type thing going where we grab empty rooms and take turns giving lectures on stuff we've done recently and it'd be funky to do a year book of each of use with my salyut :D

No worries Dave, it's an open ended offer.

Back