Help me, Nightshooting White Bal.

Nam

Name
Alex
Edit My Images
No
Hello there,

Just a quick question, When shooting at night using my nikon D80 i cant seen to loose the orange cast, i've tryed using higher iso's but just cant seem to loose it, is it possible?

This is what i mean:
2937343009_a7271f1f17.jpg

Any help you be great, and sorry if this is a little daft this qustion :)

Alex

White Balance is out.

Either set a custom WB using expodisk/white paper/ 18% grey or choose one that matches the lighting you are under.

Had this problem myself with the D80, heres how i managed to get a lot more acceptable results.
Point D80 at Dark Sky, Click Exposure lock button, recompose and shoot.
To this day i havent a clue how or why it worked but it did.
Also you are shooting at night so 100 iso, f8 to f11, and just let the camera decide exposure time.

I took the liberty of doing 10 seconds PP on this.
Still not brilliant but a little better.
night.jpg

thanks for the help people, Mattyh i thought that as well but just wasnt sure if i could get round it

ISO wont have any effect - it's purely a WB problem.

Probably the easiest way is set the WB in Degs Kelvin if your camera has the facility.Set it at it's lowest - around 2800K which should be about right, but tweak upwards if necessary.

Try it under tungsten room light, it works well.

I've no idea if this is the right colour for the car, but the WB is way out.

2937686765_af32cf814a_o.jpg

Can you shoot in RAW? if you can try setting the custon WB to 2800 when converting.

As said, it is purely a WB problem for the reasons said. As with CT I guessed at the possible colour of the car but didn't guess quite as cool. Messing with the ISO will only gain or lose you noise.

This might help:

Candle 1,800 K
Indoor tungsten 3,000 K
Indoor fluorescent 4,000 K
Outdoor sunlight 5,500 K
Outdoor shade 7,500 K
North sky 28,000 K

Tungsten (the warm end) (y)

on teh WB swettings, which would be teh best preset to choose? tungsten. fluorecent?

Just don't trust those settings. Generally speaking DSLRs are fine on the 'Auto' WB setting for daylight and flash shots as they have the same colour temp, but the artificial light settings are pants. :puke:

If you set the WB in degs Kelvin you set an absolute value for WB, which is far more accurate, Alternatively, take a custom WB exposure and use that to set Custom WB.

Back