Help me

Name
Fi
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, i am currently studying for my degree in Photography... we are doing B+W printing at the moment, i am struggling lots

has anyone got any tried and tested pointers they might be able to give me

i am learning a wee bit, but its just so damn hard!

is is all just practise makes perfect? how does my untrained eye see the difference between a good print and a bad?

:shrug:

i am struggling with this one, please help

thanks

Fi

What are you struggling with?

Print quality? Or composition?

Sorry you're not enjoying your darkroom work. I have discovered it recently and am really enjoying it! Are you not getting enough help from your tutor?

At the end of the day a good print is only good to someone who likes what they see...

OK Feeb, here goes....what are you struggling with?
A few basics are covered below.

Assuming you have some decent negatives, you ought to be able to get a good print without too much bother. The key is to make decent test strips. If you can use an f-stop timer like one from RH designs, then this is a piece of cake. If not, don't worry..

First of all, assuming you are using variable contrast paper, set the enlarger to print at grade 2. Any well exposed, properly developed neg should print well at grade 2 - 21/2.
When you make your test strip, choose an area that has the highlights where you want hints of detail. When you have established the highlight exposure, make a work print. The print should have good highlights, and a full range of tones going to maximum black (assuming it's an "average" scene).

If the print seems 'muddy' with poor shadow and mid-tones, increase the grade to grade 3 and make another test strip, from the same area as the previous one.. Be warned that the paper exposure will change as the speed of the paper increases as the grade increases.

If the print seems too contrasty with the shadows and mid-tones blocked up, the reduce the grade to grade 1. Note that the print exposure will probably be longer.

Make another work print, again basing the exposure on the highlights.

On the subject of paper development: make sure the paper developer is at the correct temperature and that you develop the print and any test strips for the full development time. DO NOT BE TEMPTED TO SNATCH THE PRINT OUT OF THE DEVELOPER EARLY AS THEY ALWAYS LOOK DARK UNDER A SAFELIGHT!!
As a session goes on, you may need to increase development (using a technique called 'factorial development') to get consistent results.

When examining test strips, make sure they are dry. The highlights will darken as the paper dries - a phenomenon called dry-down. I have a hair dryer in my darkroom for drying small prints and test strips. Though this is only any good for resin-coated paper, which I assume you will be using.

The key to fine printing with variable contrast papers is to expose for the highlights and vary the paper grade to get the shadow and mid-tones.

Other things:
1. Be methodical
2. Be consistent. Make sure all test strips and prints get the same development.
3. Make notes as you go along. Record enlarger height, aperture, easel settings, paper grade settings, exposure time, paper developer, developer time/temperature. These notes are invaluable for printing sessions that may last more than 1 day/evening or when you get a print you are happy with, you can reproduce the print without having to go through the rigmarole of making new test strips.
Moreover, if you make larger prints, you have the basis for calculating the new print exposure time.
4. Don't rush
5. Make sure your chemicals are fresh and at the correct temperature.
6. Don't be frightened to make decent sized test strips. I knew someone who used to use pieces of paper not much bigger than a couple of inches square. This is a false economy. I usually use half a sheet of 10x8 per test strip.
7. If you change papers, then you will need to make new test strips. The contrast and speeds of papers vary by a huge amount. For example, there is a 1 stop difference between Ilford MGIV and MGIV warm tone, with the warm tone being the slower paper.

Quite a lot to take in I know, but if you follow the basics above, then I think you will see a marked improvement in your prints.

Finally, on the subject of good negatives - an approach that guarantees negatives that are a dream to print is to rate HP5 plus at EI 200 then develop the film in Ilford Perceptol diluted 1+2 for 12 minutes at 24 degrees C. See this page on my website for more details.

Hope this helps.

Good luck! Let me know how you get on.

Cheers

Mark

hey guys thanks for the responses. i am having fun in the dark room, its great fun.,

i am also taught by an amazingly pedantic man, who would literally rip my thumb off if i dared to remove my paper from the developer before the designated three minutes! (he doesnt even let us use fiber based!)

my problem is being able to judge when an image has the right tones in it. its SO hard and i am sure its just practise makes perfect, but i just dont know what i am looking for yet!

thanks for the responses guys, appreciated!

Hi Feeb, I was going to recommend spending more time in the dark room a whole day for example, so the bug bites you but it soumds like you are enjoying it anyway.
I always used to put images away for a few days or a week and return to them later to see what i thought and felt about tonals etc and then made adjustments going back into the darkroom and working on burning a certain area of sky or some such.
As someone above said, work to waht you like, what feels right in tonal terms, because you will never please everybody, and it is often down to taste once composition is right, so best to please yourself and justify your own emotional response to what you are doing and why you feel passionate about the work you are producing.
What is bizarre, images I used to print sometimes I hated and didnot value, but returning to them now more than 10 years on they are extremely good (even if I do say so myself) and I absolutely love them. So make the most of the time you have in the dark room.
It was the developing I always detested. The actual printing and seeing the image come to life in the tray is an absolute pleasure.(y)

Post up some images I'd be interested to see what you are producing.

Yeah i DO love it... its just hard to begin, spend all day and still not walk away with one solid, decent print.

its all a learning curve, we have only just really learnt all of the techniques and i am ready to play with it know

i suppose i like to be comfortable with how something SHOULD be done before i feel i can push its boundaries, its good to feel totally confident about the rules of a task befor you break them

thanks for your support guys it is so so appreciated!

i will post some piccies up one day, if i have the balls!

I think you maybe just need time to *play* in the darkroom. Is there any way you could get some extra time in there, preferably when it's quiet. I don't know what time you are at college, but could you go early or give up your lunch hour?

yeah i am going in tomorrow with liam (my partner) for a good few hours, then i have a photoshop lesson, then i was thinking of going back in for a few more hours

i want to spend as much time in there as possible really, its important that i get this project done. problem is, we have this week, next week and then its the christmas holidays, so we have no use of the darkroom, then we have one more week until the whole project has to be in

for the project i have to

create two images made from decent negatives (well exposed)
create two images from crap negatives (under exposed/over exposed)

all images must be good in the end, i should encompass burning and dodging, plus everything else i have learnt in the dark room.

am pretty terrified tbh! see how tomorrow goes, i might have to come on here for a weep if its as bad as it has been!

you know feeb, maybe you should think about setting up a darkroom at home!!?? I too am at college ( A level) and there is never enough time. Everything takes me so long. We're doing much the same things as you; I only go for 3 hours a week though, but I do go in early so I can get more time in the darkroom. I find you learn a lot by experimenting, but don't worry I'm sure it will all come together in the end.

Or a compromise - perhaps do your developing at home so you can maximise your time in the dark room to printing? That's what I have done...

Either that or hang a round for a few days after the term has broken up. Surely the darkroom facilities will remain open?

hey all, have been thinking about setting up a small dark room at home... would be great wouldnt it! my friend has even offered me all the kit so u never know, might happen very soon!

I MADE MY FIRST DECENT PRINT TODAY its of handing in quality and its just such a relief to have one proper and done!

am back in the dark room all day tomorrow (from 9.30am until 7pm) so i reckon i will have two more ready and done by Thursday when i can complete the final one, then i can have them looked over by my tutor and he can let me know if i need to adjust or change anything

its all coming together now, i am so so happy

thanks for your support guys, its made me feel like there is a light at the end of the tunnel and i CAN do it with enough patience!

take care

Fi xx

I MADE MY FIRST DECENT PRINT TODAY its of handing in quality and its just such a relief to have one proper and done!

Well done! Just make sure that you keep an exhaustive record record so that you can repeat it if you need to.

its made me feel like there is a light at the end of the tunnel

Just hope that it's a safelight or it will fog all your paper ;)

yep my tutor is very funny about repeating stuff! there is no point if you cant he reckons!

we have the coolest safe lights at college, they are strip bulbs in a bright orange and give off a considerable amount of non-photo-ruining light!

its a cool place to be!

Well done on getting a good one. When can we see it?!

My tutor tells me to write on the back of the print in pencil exposure time, enlarger aperture etc so you can repeat...

yeah i just have taken really good notes! am going to compile them all in the holidays and hand in a massive scrapbook full of stuff

looking forward to it, love scrapbooks!

great plan with the pencil, will remember that x

Woot! made two more images today! Two!! now i am more ahead than i thought i was! so exciting!

might do the next one on Matt, just for something different but tomorrow evening I SHOULD HAVE MADE ALL THE PRINTS I NEED FOR MY PROJECT!!!

how awesome is that!

Back