Help, my computer is broken!

Dab

Edit My Images
No
Just in time for Christmas, my pc has decided to break! I'm about to move house and really can't afford to buy a new one, so does anyone have any ideas what the possible cause of the problem is? It's about 5 years old ( a Dell Dimension 4600) and I've not long ago put an extra 2 gig of ram in.

4210546229_1a36398167.jpg

4211313752_2582073e1b.jpg

As you can see the screen has been taken over by "noise", but it's not dead pixels as they change location every so often. I've reinstalled Windows but that hasn't helped, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Merry Christmas everyone!

If this has happened after putting the memory in, did you dislodge the graphics card? May want to try unplugging the PC the gently pushing the components to ensure that they are firmly seated in their slots.

Hope this helps and that you get sorted.

Chris

Did you format the HD?

Have you recently placed any electrical items close to the PC or monitor as that looks like interference to me.

yeah, either the graphics card has been dislodged, or the video cable has come loose.

The PC is currently a fair distance from any other electrical items, so I don't think it's interference. I'll go have a play with the components to see if anything has come loose, although it started a few weeks after i had installed the new ram so i dont think i dislodged anything doing that. Cheers for the help guys, very much appreciated!

The PC is currently a fair distance from any other electrical items, so I don't think it's interference. I'll go have a play with the components to see if anything has come loose, although it started a few weeks after i had installed the new ram so i dont think i dislodged anything doing that. Cheers for the help guys, very much appreciated!

Although it started afterwards, you might have partially dislodged something during the install.
My first impression is that is probably isn't too serious, otherwise you wouldn't be getting any images to the monitor! you maybe have damaged to video card (graphics card). Unfortunately, its a bit of a pain to locate the problem. first of all, check all cables, connections and motherboard assemblies. Then try a different pc (that you know to be ok) with your monitor, and like wise try a different monitor with your pc.

Then, if you need to, try a different graphics card in your pc, and so on!

Fixed! I took out the graphics card and cleaned out 5 years of dust, and made sure all the connections we in properly. It's booted up now without any problems, so hopefully thats it. Cheers again for all the advice, you can all tell Santa you've been good this year!

that'll be it overheating then :p

Back