Help needed chosing a DSLR

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok fine people of Talk photography world.. You have convinced me that I should really have a DSLR, mainly after reading the HDR guide!

The question is, what to buy?

I'm currently using a Nikon F55 35mm, with a 28-100mm lens, and a 70-300mm lens.

I'd like something along a similar spec, but without breaking the bank (alot to ask I know!)

I wouldn't mind going for a refurbished model, if anyone knows of any trusted dealers etc.

Thanks for your help (i hope :D)

Over to you :D

Well, I recently just bought a Canon EOS 350D.
About 3/5 of the people on here told me to spend the extra and get the 400D, but 2/5 said I wouldn't really notice the difference.
I managed to pick it up for £260 including the kit lens, and so far, I absolutely love it to bits.
I was lucky, too.
I got an ex-display model, so practically brand new.
I'm sure people will either recommend the Canon 350D/400D or the Nikon d40.

What sort of budget you looking at? You might be worth looking for a D50/D70s/D80 so that you can use you current lenses.

Prob looking around the £300 - £400 mark. I didn't realise I could use my current lenses with the D50 et al!

As a Canon user I would normally recommend them of course BUT!!!!

As you already have the Nikon lenses thats already in use with your D50 it would be foolish to start all over again with Canon..;)

it would be foolish to start all over again with Canon..;)

Yes, it would. The D40x is pretty good piece of kit but if the lenses your using are not AF-S they will not autofocus with it. In this case a D50 would be ideal. It is a great little camera and one that is very easy to get on with. They can be had as refurbs for as little as £220 which leaves you plenty to buy a flash and memory card or something along those lines.

Eitherway, welcome to the world of digital.

King.

EDIT: Just spotted this, what a great deal for a great camera. Nikon D80

maybe you could suggest to her that a third of your earnings and a third of her(?) earnings should go into a common fund for the usual crap (rent, house stuff, etc.), third to save for kids for their uni and he last thirds would be only for the one who earned it.
Best to avoid conflicts about money.
Not that I could have tested it in practise, one more year of school to go, buuut... that's my future plan, though. :D

Sold, thanks King Boru and everyone. Can't wait to get hold of my new D80 and getting some good pics to post!!

Now.. Anyone know a good solicitor who can write me a will, for when the other half kills me?

Well done! It wasnt a deal to be sniffed at really. As it says in the sale, it is fully refurbed and comes with everything in the original box. Who can argue with that?

Have fun! And well done for sticking Nikon :)

King.

I can't argue with my current Nikon, it's always treated me well (even if I've not taken the best pics from it!)

I'm like a dog with two friends called richard at the moment... Can't wait for it to be delivered!

Slapo - I'm trying to get her into photography at the moment, then she won't have room to complain! Am trying to get her to use my F55 instead of a point and shoot, not having any of it at the moment though lol

Back