help needed with aperture ring on the lens

TG.

Name
Tel
Edit My Images
No
i guess i'm really showing my ignorance here as this will probably be a daft question to most of you, anyway i bought a nikon 50mm f/1.8d lens for my D50, so as this has an aperture ring on it and the camera already changes the aperture settings, do i just set the ring to a certain aperture and lock it, and then let the camera do the work, as i noticed there is a small switch on the ring which seems to lock it at f/22, or do i have to turn the setting on the lens ring everytime i take a photo, many thanks in advance.

If it is anything like the D70 and D200 set the aperture ring at f/22 and leave it, if it is set to anything else the 'F-E-E' warning will show in the display and viewfinder and the camera will not shoot.

Hope this helps.

you must set the aperture to its minimum ie f/22 or f/32, you will find at the base of the lens by the aperture ring and slightly to the right when viewed from above, a little tab, this will lock the aperture ring to the minimum value and you no longer ever have to worry about setting the aperture on the lens. Control will always be from the camera. This applies to all Nikon AF lenses except for G series.....don't i sound brainy?? Maybe it's because I am sat right next to Barry and he read this thread over my shoulder :naughty:

many thanks to all, just one other thing does this apply when using the camera in manual mode.

Yep! Set it to the minimum (smallest) aperture, lock it and leave it. The control of the aperture in MANUAL mode is achieved by a button + control wheel. I believe it's the same button as the exposure compensation control. Anyway, page 45 of the manual reveals all. Not even held a D50 so a bit tricky to describe button from a manual page in Adobe reader :LOL:

Not quite the same as other Nikon dSLR's as there is only one control wheel on the D50 :(

HTH

Back