Help needed with Canon Camera Connect

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
No
Hello all

First post :-|

Problems with this and as a pensioner I have struggled to sort it out after viewing numerous You tubes. I had it set up and working but didn't use it for a couple of years and when I went back to it I'd forgotten how to use it. Tried to reset, uninstall, use a different phone but to no avail. Local dealer who I have known for 40 years can't be bothered to help...
Need to find a helper!

Hi and welcome to TP.

The Canon guys (I no longer have my Canon gear and even when I did, I had no interest in Canon Connect) hopefully will chime in but having watched this video it does look straightforward....so IMO it would help if you were more detailed in the specific problems you are experiencing?

View: https://youtu.be/xJD_Wf8_HaI

PS I looked up the Canon 80D spec and no mention of Blue Tooth, so your connection method will be WiFi

Last edited:
Thank you for this. It's not the setting up that is the issue, I have the app on my phone and as I have previously been able to use Canon Connect the cameras are registered and have been assigned nicknames as required. Yes, it is Wi-Fi, the camera creates its own Wi-Fi network but I've not been able to get the phone and camera to recognise each other. After a lot of searching I have found out how to cancel the Wi-Fi settings and I can unregister the camera so hopefully I can start afresh and that will resolve the problem. I will put an update on here.

Good to find this forum, I was a regular on the Amateur Photographer one until it was discontinued and everyone on there was always very helpful too.

By sheer co-incidence I have been looking to do the very same thing and having the very same issues getting my 80D to talk to my IPhone with canon connect.

As you Martin I did have it running (erratically) a few years ago on my older iPhone but haven’t really bothered with it for some time but I am now doing product photography in our e-commerce business and being able to remotely trigger my 80D would help so I thought I would give it another go but it’s just hard work and even watching the YouTube videos doesn’t appear to be much of a help

Think I will just purchase a remote trigger instead which is a shame when big names like canon are unable to make software that works on an iphone.

Well, I finally got it set up and working again but what a pain. I reset the camera to its default factory settings, cleared the Wi-Fi settings and switched off the home broadband so that the phone wasn't trying to connect to that. Even then the phone kept saying "internet not available" even though it could see the 80D in its Wi-Fi settings.

I can recommend the Aodelan remote, it's primarily an intervalometer but is an excellent remote trigger. About £60 on Amazon : Aodelan and there's a summary on YouTube here.

Back