Help needed with scanning Rollei IR film

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
Does anyone have any tips on how to scan Rollei IR 400 film?

I have a Minolta DiMage Pro and I am using Vuescan.

Thanks in advance

Pete

Not sure about the Rollei film, but when I scanned Konica 750 I just scanned as if a normal black and white film, then and post processing was done in PS until I was happy with the way it looked.

Oh make sure Digital ICE is not on. It does not work with black and white films.

Have fun and look forward to seeing the results.

I use the same scanner and scan Rollei IR just like b/w neg, but I use the win 95 look Minolta software.
I also thought it was a shade grainy for a film shot at iso 12 :LOL:, but mine was 120 so the grain wouldn't be as apparent as 35mm.
Apart from the grain, I got myself a lot of marks/scratches and *** not, I think the film surfaces are more delicate than run of the mill b/w neg cos I'm pretty good with my film, we get enough crap on them as it is without adding scratches through handling.

IR film is always quite grainy because the grain is always quite large as it has such a large sensitivity due to it being extended into the near IR spectrum. It may be shot at ISO 12 like Joxby says, but remember that thats with the filter factor so its actually 200/400 speed film (depends on IR film type).

Thanks both

I also shot at ISO 12. Have heard that you can scan as colour and then inverse. Has anyone tried that?

Anyway going to try scanning some over next couple of days

I also shot at ISO 12. Have heard that you can scan as colour and then inverse. Has anyone tried that?

i have, It´s not necessary really unless you´re begatives are a bit thin, that´s when it´s better at pulling out the detail thana b&w scan.

IR film is always quite grainy because the grain is always quite large as it has such a large sensitivity due to it being extended into the near IR spectrum. It may be shot at ISO 12 like Joxby says, but remember that thats with the filter factor so its actually 200/400 speed film (depends on IR film type).

This is strangely exactly the opposite of my experience with the Rollei IR film. I found it be almost grain free last summer when I shot 2 or 3 rolls, and developed in Rodinal. The only example I can find I've got online is this one:

Rollei-IR400-01-006.jpg

Lovely picture with the reflection as well. Did you scan it in yourself with a sanner and if so would be great if you could let me know the settings you used.

That was scanned on an Epson v700 using the bundled Epson software. I normally scan B&W in B&W mode, probably 16bit, and also probably 2400dpi

A sllight adjust for the levels and then scan. I don't really have a very complicated scanning workflow tbh, just whatever it takes to get it as best I can

Thanks. I have experimented scanning in colour neg as RAW file and also B&W. B&W seems to be getting the better results and will look to scan the rest over the next couple of days. Will look to post the results soon

This is strangely exactly the opposite of my experience with the Rollei IR film. I found it be almost grain free last summer when I shot 2 or 3 rolls, and developed in Rodinal. The only example I can find I've got online is this one:

Rollei-IR400-01-006.jpg

Wow!

What a great scan!

What scanner/settings are you using?

I can't seem to do anything right for scanning and gave up.

Is it better to scan the prints?

that was scanned in epson scan on a v700, probably @ 2400dpi and just a quick play with the levels to get the most detail from the scan possible. Other than that I'm afraid I can't tell you anything

This is a scan from a neg, I've not had much luck with scans from prints on glossy paper, but matt seems reasonable. You are better scanning the neg though in the real world

Wow.

I just wouldn't know where to start with the scanner.

When I've tried scanning, there are scanning overexposure problems in the edges where the strip holds the negative, so that I don't even get a proper scan to start off with to do levels!

Back