Help needed Zorki 4

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
No
I am so frustrated, I have a Zorki 4 which was working, now the shutter curtain only seems to cock to a third way across the film frame, releases fine and re-cocks, I need some advice on what the problem could be and if there is a fix?
Many thanks,
Richard.

Sounds like you have become unwound, tension-wise? Are the curtains loose at all (in the active directions)? Re-tensioning is sort of easy, bottom off (do not lose the two spacers!), locate base of each spring-loaded pillar (two of them). There will be a small x-shaped bolt and a locking screw - remove screw, tighten x-bit to increase tension, replace screw. Repeat on other pillar.

Last edited:
Crap - just reminded me I have a camera to post... sorry Nick, clean forgot :wacky:

Sounds like you have become unwound, tension-wise? Are the curtains loose at all (in the active directions)? Re-tensioning is sort of easy, bottom off (do not lose the two spacers!), locate base of each spring-loaded pillar (two of them). There will be a small x-shaped bolt and a locking screw - remove screw, tighten x-bit to increase tension, replace screw. Repeat on other pillar.

Hi Arthur,
Well when shutter is cocked the postion is approx one third across the film frame both shutter curtains when I gentle move them apart snap back into there respective postions so tension appears to be there.

Morning,
well update time based on the help given I decided to be a bit adventurous and have a look inside the camera and as I removed more and more screws and plates and bits, the camera began to look like a skeleton on removing the top section I came to what I think is called the speed escapement and when loosening a( I think) retaining screw there appeared to be a movement that sounded like something in relief, after that I gave everything a good clean and wipe as gently as I could and began to then put every item back together again.
Five hours later:) I primed the shutter and there I had a fully functioning camera working at all speeds(y), so I can only assume that the problem lay in the speed escapement and something was jammed.
The only small problem now is that the rangefinder focus is just out of Aline on the vertical, but I think I can live with that, I am going to put a film through the camera in the week to see the results and will post a few photo,s for you all to see.
Many thanks,
Richard.

Cool - RF adjustment? Top off again, small screw accessible from above and behind the 45 degree mirror on the right (looking from behind the camera) - *tiny* movements!

Cool - RF adjustment? Top off again, small screw accessible from above and behind the 45 degree mirror on the right (looking from behind the camera) - *tiny* movements!

Thanks Arthur, I may do that when I have recovered:)

Back