Help new standard Zoom for my Canon 400D

DinoS

Hmmmmm.......Paste!
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

i hve a 400d with standard kit zoom and i am fed up with the way it feels as it feels too light and doesn't move handle very well.

I want something better, is the 18-50mm sigma better and if not what would be the next best move.

many thanks for all help

M

i am talking about the cheaper one not the F2.8

If you give us some idea of your budget that would be a help ;)

Keep an eye on Ebay. I've seen at least one Sigma 17-70 2.8 go through at about your budget.......and quite a few for £175-£180

If you can stretch your budget to get one of these you probably won't find a better lens for the price(y)

Have the Sigma 17-70 on my 400D and very happy with it so far.

Yep the 400D fits EF and EFS lenses.

That buget of £150 is a little cheap to get hold of a really good lens but as Eric said, you can get one that's not too shabby for that price.

I have a Canon 28-135mm for an all-rounder atm, it's pretty good. Cost me £230.

Good shout on getting rid of the 18-55mm, they are rubbish. Build quality is pretty poor and the quality is mediocre. For a starting lens is alright though...

What about a 50mm f1.8 for a bit of fun i can get one for about £25 on ebay. IS it worth it.

Personally i'd spend more and get a descent general purpose lens like the Canon 24-70mm, Canon 24-105mm or Canon 28-135mm.

The 50mm f1.8 is cheaply made, it's mostly made of plasic (even the lens mount is plastic). It gives sharp photos, but the build quality isn't great.

Oh and i'd definatly recomend a lens with Image Stabilizer.

The "nifty fifty" is supposed to be a fantastic lens for the money(y) (that reminds me..I must get one:LOL:)

If you can get one for £25 on ebay...get two and I'll have the other one!

Well yeah for the price, it's great.

If you have the cash to get it as well as a descent general purpose lens then go for it (I personally have no money and am now strapped for cash as I dropped £230 on a lens rescently).

I was bidding on one last week put a first bid of £20 next thing they sold it for £21 and closed the auction but they had 2 going second lens went for over £90. Something fishy going on with this seller so dont be drawn in to over paying for your lens on e bay
Bob:shake:

If your going to buy a lens from eBay it's better to buy it from an eBay shop or power seller (basically someone who specifically sells photographic equipment through eBay) instead of some randomer.

Back