Beginner Help:- Olympus OM10 SLR 35mm Film Camera with Zuiko Auto-S F1.8 Lens.

Edit My Images
No
Help required on a Recent 2nd hand camera purchase.

Having put the batteries in, the mirror locks in the up position having pressed the shutter release and will not come down until the batteries have been removed and put back in. With the mirror up I am able to move the film advance lever but the shutter button is stuck. I was wondering if I’m missing something or whether this might be a fault with the camera.

Hi Paul and welcome to TP

How about telling us exactly which camera you are talking about and just what the setting dials are set to............................otherwise all will be guesswork :(

Sorry @Paul Mansfield Ooopps! missed the title :coat:but having said that my thoughts about the settings stand ;)

PS found this link to the online manual in pdf format https://www.petervis.com/Cameras/olympus-om10-manual/olympus-om10-manual.html

PPS I wonder if you have it set to "Bulb" long exposure setting ~ see page 30???

Last edited:
Hi Box Brownie,

It’s an Olympus OM10 SLR 35mm Film Camera with Zuiko Auto-S F1.8 Lens

Serial No:- 1805803

I was initially using the auto setting with asa set to 200 but the problem persists over a range of asa values and when the shutter is set to any of auto, bulb, or manual?

Kind Regards,
Paul

Found this on another page of the above authors website, seems like a known issue(?) depending on the power state of the batteries and/or 'dried out grease" in the mechanism!

https://www.petervis.com/Cameras/olympus-om10/olympus-om10-jammed-shutter-and-mirror-lock-up.html

"
Olympus OM10 Jammed Shutter and Mirror Lock-Up

Shutter and mirror lock-ups usually occur at the same time because there is a mechanical coupling between them. They arranged the mechanism in such a way so that when the shutter fails to operate properly due to depleted batteries, the mirror locks-up, which also locks the shutter. The mechanism makes use of an electromagnet / solenoid type of component, which keeps the system unlocked whilst there is sufficient power in the batteries. However, as soon as the power level drops, the solenoid plunger moves the linkages such that the mirror and shutter remain locked.

Check the voltage level of the batteries by using a digital meter, because it will give a more precise reading. Depleted batteries will require replacement.

Sometimes the problem occurs with the solenoid where the grease around the plunger and linkages dries up preventing the plunger to move freely. This is an extremely delicate mechanism, which involves very small forces, and therefore hardened grease will have an impact on its proper operation. This type of problem usually occurs after the camera has been stored away for many years.

Last edited:
Thanks Box Brownie,

How easy is it to get the jammed shutter & mirror lock up rectified?

Will it be costly or is it an inexpensive task at a decent camera shop?

Thanks Box Brownie,

How easy is it to get the jammed shutter & mirror lock up rectified?

Will it be costly or is it an inexpensive task at a decent camera shop?

I have little to no idea but there has been mentioned here at TP of at least two very skilled one man operator companies that can quote for such work and by all accounts their work is good.........but at this time I cannot recall who they are but a I recall one is in Kent and the other I think is in Scotland???

Will post again when I can with more insight, though others might chime in in the meantime :)

PS not sure but think this guy was one that others mentioned......hope others can offer customer experience? http://www.mwcamerarepairs.co.uk

Last edited:
Back