Beginner Help on choosing Nikon DSLR

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
No
Hi. I am looking for any posters on how to chose first DSLR. Had SLR in my teams but sold it 35 years ago as never took it out - too heavy and kept needing to swap lenses. Got a Sony RX100 a couple of years ago and am trying to improve pictures (general days out/hols etc) and it is great but now want greater optical zoom when I would be happy to carry SLR.
I have been looking at forums and have noted many comments about getting second hand kit.
Do not think I will ever get to FX need and do not want to change camera regularly.
Am thinking of D5300/D5500 or going for D7000/7100.
Lens - I am thinking of is one walkabout lens as I will have the RX100 for when I just want camera in pocket, thinking 18-200 or 18-300.
Am I right that if I go for the D7000/7100 then it has motor in so my choice of lens would be greater and I could get better lens for money?

Any pointers great fully appreciated.

Yes re the motor, with the d7xxx you have the option of using the 50mm f1.8d. Depending on budget I would go for the d7xxx range.

Agree with Kev. Even the D7000 is still an excellent body & can be picked up cheaply.

As a good `walkabout` lens, the Nikon 16-85mm has a good range, but if you wanted something with more zoom/reach, the 70-300mm is also very good. (which would be equivalent to 105-450mm on a cropped sensor)

You don't necessarily have to buy Nikon lenses either, if you wanted a cheaper alternative. (Tamron, Sigma, etc)

A good D7000/7100, Tamron and Sigma make some good lenses, with the motor in body you are open to many of the older Nikon lenses that dont have a built in motor.

Hi Kev and Karl
Many thanks for your comments.
I will look seriously at second hand D7000/D7100 and then a good zoom lens.

You should be able to pick up a V good condition D7000 with sub 10k actuations for less than £350, or a D7100 for £550 & even a D7200 for less than £700.
Private buys even cheaper? but usually you'll get some warranty from shops/dealers.

Thanks for your comments Carl & David
I have been looking on eBay and some of the online shops as I am not able to use the classifieds on this site yet.

Personally I would use a bricks & mortar business, but it depends on your budget of course & if a warranty is important. Are there any camera shops in your area?

Check out a few sites of reputable sellers eg. Mifsuds, MPB, WEX, Wilkinson cameras, Grays of Westminster, etc .........

Take your time Steve, there are loads about. :cool:

I'd also look at grey import new ones, virtually the same price as used. The D5500 would do all you need but the D7xxx's are a bit nicer.

OP, do you have a budget? The reason I ask is that you say that you don't want to keep swapping equipment, and I find to ensure longevity it's a good idea to buy the best at that time (I apply this to most things), in which case I'd advise the D7200. If you're on more of a budget look for one second hand or grey import from panamoz or hdew. If you're on even more of a budget then look at a used/grey D7100.

Thanks for the advice all, much appreciated.
Snerkler - I would want to get a camera and a walkabout lens that I would anticipate keeping for at least 4 years, unless of course I end up doing more than I anticipate and so change requirements. If D7200 then it may have to be grey or second hand so I can get a good 18-200 or 18-300 lens. I am going to borrow a D3300 with a 70-300 lens for a weekend before I buy.

Thanks for the advice all, much appreciated.
Snerkler - I would want to get a camera and a walkabout lens that I would anticipate keeping for at least 4 years, unless of course I end up doing more than I anticipate and so change requirements. If D7200 then it may have to be grey or second hand so I can get a good 18-200 or 18-300 lens. I am going to borrow a D3300 with a 70-300 lens for a weekend before I buy.
Obviously this depends on how in depth you want to, how much shooting you'll do and what type of shooting you'll do, but IMO there's a lot more 'room to grow' with the D7xxx series than the D5xxx and D3xxx series'. You get more features, more sophisticated AF systems, bigger and better viewfinders, and other useful things such as weather sealing.

In terms of IQ there's not a lot to differentiate them, the newer bodies will have slightly better ISO/noise performance and more resolution than the older bodies. But it's the features and AF systems that may prove limiting as you advance.

Obviously this depends on how in depth you want to, how much shooting you'll do and what type of shooting you'll do, but IMO there's a lot more 'room to grow' with the D7xxx series than the D5xxx and D3xxx series'. You get more features, more sophisticated AF systems, bigger and better viewfinders, and other useful things such as weather sealing.

In terms of IQ there's not a lot to differentiate them, the newer bodies will have slightly better ISO/noise performance and more resolution than the older bodies. But it's the features and AF systems that may prove limiting as you advance.

As Snerkler says( is that your real name ;) ) iq wise i had a d3300 and with good glass the IQ is not far off the 7200 apart from the DR is a bit better on the 7200. But it is the much much better features of the bodies that you will come to appreciate the longer you have them.

Back