Help picking a new lens...

Name
Eddy
Edit My Images
Yes
My first time posting here in many years... I've recently started up with wedding photography again and my gear is a bit all over the place!

So my main lens, a Canon 24-70 f/2.8L MK I appears to have died a death today. The aperture blades are stuck and from what I've read, this lens is prone to a snapped ribbon cable - so I'm guessing that's what's happened here.

I will try and get the lens repaired at some point (if it's financially worth it), but in the meantime I have a couple of weddings coming up so I'll need a replacement. Other than the obvious choice of the 24-70 f/2.8L MKII, can anyone recommend a similar performing lens that might suit? The other 2 lenses in my bag currently are a Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art and Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS. Main camera is a 5D MK IV.

I also have a Fujifilm XT1 as my 'back-up' camera, which I was planning to pair with a 56mm f/1.2 until my 24-70 snuffed it! For now it has a 18-55mm kit lens.

Any recommendations welcome! Thanks :)

Personally I would guess that having used the Canon anything else will be "second best".
The Mk11 new is silly money ,even grey.
Used is around £800-1K so you could buy used and get your Mk1 fixed if it worth it and then sell it or sell it as spares or repair.
An alternative is to hire a Mk2 if time is not on your side
https://lensesforhire.co.uk/search has them for £69 for 3 days

Decisions Decisions

Chris

Personally I would guess that having used the Canon anything else will be "second best".
The Mk11 new is silly money ,even grey.
Used is around £800-1K so you could buy used and get your Mk1 fixed if it worth it and then sell it or sell it as spares or repair.
An alternative is to hire a Mk2 if time is not on your side
https://lensesforhire.co.uk/search has them for £69 for 3 days

Decisions Decisions

Chris
Cheers, Chris.

I'm not convinced my copy of the MK1 was particularly great - was occasionally quite soft in fact! Also, I'm not convinced anywhere still repairs them, hence the amount of broken ones on eBay. I've checked with Fixation and they definitely don't repair them anymore:confused:

Do you think ditching the 24-70 in favour of a prime is a good idea? I've been considering a 50mm for a while now. I don't have the money to be investing in a second 5D MK IV though, so I'd potentially be making things difficult for myself.

Do You need f2.8 or would f4 do either way check out park cameras used lenses I have found that their prices are reasonable discriptions accurate and delivery is quick

Back