Help please - slow Adobe

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, my Adobe 4.0 is running real slow.
Each function, crop, saturation, etc brings up a progress bar which takes approx a minute to complete. It used to be instantanious :shrug:

Ive just deleted a bucket load of piccies from yesterdays shoot

and

my internet seems slow as well if that helps with diagnosis.

Also, if anyones got any links on how to copy everything incase the computor crashes i'd appreciate it - i've just bought a 320Gb back up drive (passport style) which i've not yet plugged in, so it cant be that causing the trouble.
Thanks in advance :)

Hi, my Adobe 4.0 is running real slow.
Each function, crop, saturation, etc brings up a progress bar which takes approx a minute to complete. It used to be instantanious :shrug:

Ive just deleted a bucket load of piccies from yesterdays shoot

and

my internet seems slow as well if that helps with diagnosis.

Also, if anyones got any links on how to copy everything incase the computor crashes i'd appreciate it - i've just bought a 320Gb back up drive (passport style) which i've not yet plugged in, so it cant be that causing the trouble.
Thanks in advance :)

Are you using Windows?

If so how much actual space is there on your hard drive? You only get the space back from deleted items once you empty your bin. Then general maintenance can help. defrag etc. Try running "msconfig" and remove all the rubbish that runs when you start up (that is on most windows machines).

As for backups you can just copy all the stuff you want across to the new drive BUT lots of software is badly written and stores files all over the place which makes backups more difficult. Something like "GHOST" by Norton will make an image of the main drive for quicker restoration but it is not ideal. There are commercial packages available that copy everything file by file. Some programs can create their own backups even if this is not obvious. There is often an option "EXPORT TO" or something like that which can be used as a backup. Copying the entire user directory will backup most things but some things store their stuff in the Windows directory or in the program files directory but you can always check this.

ok, thanks - it is windows (xp) and ive figured the internet is ok as long as ive not got Adobe working, and Adobe is still very slow...

......I tried editing another pic just now and when I came to resize it - it thought my original image was 1Gb, and its still not completing any tasks to completion before I have to reboot just to get the thinf off the screen.

Man, ive got a good few images I need to edit, as long as there in 'my pictures' I can copy them cant I, and then download them into a new Adobe - cant I ???

Man, I have no patience with machines :help:

How much Ram have you got and how big is the picture.

I had a similar problem whilst writing script writer but that was due to a bug and I ended up editing a picture 50000x40000 or something ridiculous like that :)

I'm just thinking aloud here...

... Could Adobe updater be running in the background.

Oh and it shouldn't matter where your pics are stored you can still copy them

Thanks fella's - i'm running a full system scan now.

Ive noticed that when I go into 'edit' every image changes from 12mb (or whatever size it is) to 2 or 3 Gb.

I'll give it till tonight and then its going in the bin!

To find out how much RAM you have go to Start. Right click om "My Computer" and select "Properties" at the bottom of the window. . You'll get the RAM detals at the bottom of the window that pops up.

However the problem is probably the images resizing to 3Gb. I'm not surprised they are taking ages to edit. It looks as though you've got a setting somewher that's giving you the grief.

Are you opening in Adobe Camera RAW. If so have a look at the image options that are right at the bottom of the page. Make sure they are set to a reasonable size. Look for the data in Blue at the bottom of the window. Click on this and you'll get a new dialogue box. Select the size without any + or- next to it. That's the "native resolution" of the file. Also make sure you have 8 bit selected.

Hope this helps

Ive got 960Mb of RAM, but i'm not shooting raw cos my elements 4.0 doesnt support it -

...UPDATE

I just noticed that the image size only gets massive when I hit the 'crop' facility.

Does this confirm its a 'bug' in the system?

Sounds as though something, somewhere is resizing on the crop. Don't know elements 4 so can't really advise. You could try downloading a trial version of Elements 7 and see if this does the same thing.

Also uninstalling and resinstalling Elements may also help. Use the instal/uninstal option within windows, and when it's finished check that it doesn't leave any entries behind, it should say "Unable to delete xxxxx" at the end of the uninstall procedure.If it does you'll need to go in and trash these manually. This hopefully removes any referneces to the previous instal

Then reinstal

Defrag wouldn't hurt either.

When you use crop it has a DPI setting so if you just 'drag' a crop it may resize AND resample it giving you HUGE images

Back