help Please

tiler65

Suspended / Banned
Name
Tom (I think)
Edit My Images
Yes
I bought a new dell pc but did not buy a sound card but thought I could take my old SB live card and fit it to the new PC. I fitted the SB into the dell but the connectors on the cable to the DVD/rw don't appear to be compatible or I cannot see the correct line in on the dvd/rw. I have a only 2 connectors on the dvd/rw and one is oviously the power and I think the other is the cable to my onboard sound but this fitting is different to my sb live cable fittings.

Anybody know how or what I need to do, I really want to do this myself and not take it into a shop.

Many thanks in advance

You don't need it. Hook up the data and power cables then go in to device manager on your PC. Find the DVDRW drive, right-click and select properties. Hit the properties tab, and tick "enable digital CD audio". Et voila!

if you have vista installed you will need to download the old XP drivers for the card,

I have XP,

I have cd digital audio enabled

but where do I power up the card to my leads with the sb live do not have the same connectors as the new dvd/rw

I fitted the SB into the dell but the connectors on the cable to the DVD/rw don't appear to be compatible or I cannot see the correct line in on the dvd/rw. I have a only 2 connectors on the dvd/rw and one is oviously the power and I think the other is the cable to my onboard sound

If you have any experience of PC's from years ago you used to need an audio cable to the soundcard - but you don't now. You do not need to connect anything to the DVD drive to get sound from it... just leave it alone!

The soundcard will get the signals digitally through the main board. If the Dell has onboard sound you may need to go into the bios screen and disable it before your added soundcard will work properly.

Thanks for all the advice.

Indeed you do not need a cable anymore it works like a dream. digital connection and sound is better than ever.

Just one gripe though, aren't PC manuacturers cheeky when they say onboard sound is good. This old card blows away the onboard and it is second rate by todays cards (had this one for years).

Also have had to say sorry to the Missus and the young 'un for waking them up, to test the settings I opened up media player clicked on play, I did not realise I had turned my theatre speakers on full and what comes out.....................

Whole Lotta Rosie......FULL BLAST at 6 in the morning :bat:

Back