help required

Edit My Images
No
got a 12" MacBook that has 256 gb memory
looked up what storage space i have left and it tells me that
91 gb is being used by documents
thats not right as have only got basically 30 docs stored with car house insurance etc etc
i have completely emptied my mail box's and my sent items so there is no mail whatsoever in the recycle bin
is also completely empty
any idea where all these 91gb of space are being used about ??

do you have any other ios devices that would be backing up then syncing to your mac? Go to icloud.com from a browser and look in there for any data

As a windows user i use Treesize to catalog the files on the hard drive, i have just checked and the Treesize program is not available on Macs, but is there a similiar program that can list the files and file sizes ?

Look in your icloud, settings, or go to icloud.com and log in, it will tell you where and what is stored.

When computers calculate the size of Documents (whether it's Mac, Windows, or even Linux) they're usually including Movies, Music, Pictures, and Videos. You could start by looking at those in Finder. If you go into Finder and right-click (or Ctrl+click) each of those folders one at a time, then press Cmd+I you can see how much space they take up.

With 256 GB of storage, you might want to clear up other non-essential stuff. For example, have you emptied your Bin recently?

The Mac also stores a lot of temporary files and caches longer than it needs to. You could install something like Catalina Cache Cleaner or subscribe to CleanMyMac which does a lot more than just clean up space. Or you could do it yourself.

I've just thought of a better way of knowing what's causing your Documents to be so large. Click the Apple logo, then About this Mac, then Storage. Click the Manage... button then click Documents. That will list the large files that MacOS thinks are documents. The items under the Large Files tab will obviously be of interest, but also look under the Downloads tab. You can select single or multiple files and Delete them. You can also select them and open them in Finder to get more information about them.

Garry
done what you suggested in your last post worked a treat except
i have 32gb used by others ! which is not highlighted so you cannot select it ?
i now have 8gb apps mail 3.3gb system 11.3gb other 34.8 thats the one i cannot access any idea ?
thanks for taking time to help me to everyone i hate technology

Also try this: http://www.derlien.com/ which looks to be a mac version of WinDirStat which I can't live without... It's free.

Garry
i have 32gb used by others ! which is not highlighted so you cannot select it ?

That's probably at least partly caches for various apps. IMO MacOS should at least give you the option of auto-deleting these after a while. And this is where apps like Catalina Cache Cleaner, DaisyDisk, and CleanMyMac come into their own. The problem is that they all cost money, so you might want to try Onyx which does more than just clean up your caches, and is free. Do make sure to download the correct version of Onyx for your version of MacOS.

thanks for taking time to help me to everyone i hate technology

Those of us who love technology also hate it.;)

If you are using Lightroom, that "others" is likely your preview files. I have the same on my MacBook. Clearing that frees up space, but then you have no previews causing Lightroom to rebuild them all....

Back