Help! Why am I getting these lines.

Name
Heather
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Folks, I am sincerely hoping that someone can explain to me why I am getting these lines when shooting at high shutter speeds and ISO's and how to stop them but still capture the snow, debris and particles.

This shot was taken using my Canon 80D, 50mm 1.4, @ 1.4, 1/5000, ISO 3200. I was using a tripod and hand held at times with 2 x lume cubes with diffusers attached.

These lines occurred in every picture from 1/1600 up to 1/5000 with ISO's ranging from 1000 - 3200, I have never shot at this high ISO or fast shutter speeds, it was because I was trying to get as much snow falling and particles being blown by the wind.

Other shots I took at lower shutter speeds and ISO did not come out with the lines.

So I come asking to see if anyone can explain to me why this occurs..... and how do I set the camera up to still get the effects I want and capture the snow, debris and particles but without these lines.

Trooper (4).jpg

I can only think of two possible causes?

- a sensor artifact of under exposure?

- at that shutter speed range there is something about the LED light (cycle) frequency? NB as you do say the banding is absent at a speed of under 1/1600th second.

I can only think of two possible causes?

- a sensor artifact of under exposure?

- at that shutter speed range there is something about the LED light (cycle) frequency? NB as you do say the banding is absent at a speed of under 1/1600th second.

Thanks Box Brownie, I have just remembered I was using high speed continuous shooting as well to try to capture the snow that was falling... wonder if the camera was just not quick enough and this in fact artifact.

Are these also recovered underexposures? This looks most like on-sensor PDAF banding to me...
Thanks sk66, as I have just mentioned to Box Brownie I was using high speed continuous shooting as well to try to capture the snow that was falling... wonder if the camera was just not quick enough and this is in fact artifact.

Back