HELP!! Will 300mm be enough!???

ppp

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys,

I am going to the F1 Silverstone Grand Prix, will be in the pitlane/hospitality on the Sat for qualifying so am aiming to use the 18-55 for that.

However, Sunday i will be at trackside, most likely on the first corner or along Hangar Straight, my question is will i get good enough range on my 70-300mm lens to get close shots of the cars, or will they look 'wider' angle.

I am unsure as to exactly how far away from the cars you are and i know a lot of people have been to silverstone previously.

Does anyone have pics at about 300mm from these locations??

Thanks guys.

Probably be OK. If you're really worried, see if you can borrow a 2x converter for the day. Several hire companies do this - Calumet would be the best bet outside London. Or look in the Yellow Pages.

I'd take a 300 and 600 and a 2x converter, but I realise this is beyond most of us.

Thats a good idea, hadn't thought of that, any rough ideas of cost. Thanks.

Lend us your 600 then. lol. :D

**heads for door** :coat:

remember the 2x will probably be manual focus on a 70-300 zoom and you'll have to find out if it will fit too.

also assuming you have a f5.6 zoom, you'll have a minimum aperture of f11 with the 2x.

true. would that be a major problem in normal light conditions?

Alternatively - instead of hiring/getting an extender, rent a bigger & faster lens for the day (or two) :)

I found 300 more than enough to fill the frame with the car, but that was right up against (and over) the fences. Enjoy your trip, wish I could be there for the race :)

I did this series of shots using a 28-300mm at the Silverstone Supercar race this year , they're not brilliant but should give you an idea of the reach 300mm gives you at the track.

oh , all uncropped & unprocessed (if you hadn't guessed :))

Here be photos...

Excellent many thanks guys, great pics mrgubby, i think i will be ok by the looks of it, if not there will always be an F1 race to watch!

I would have a wonder around the track.
Look for a suitable location to suit what you want to capture.
If your on the outside of a bend, your usually quite far away from the track
(because of the gravel traps and run off areas), so a long lens is advisable.
If your on the inside of the bends, you'll be a lot closer to the action, so you won't be needing as long a lens as you'd think.

HTH

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is what you intend to do with end images. If only for web, then you can get away with less mm's & some cropping of shots to get impact, as long as in perfect focus.

Sorry my fault again - I sometimes forget that not all of us use f/2.8 300mm lenses and that slower lenses even exist.
I didn't even know that you lost AF functionality beyond f/8 max aperture for example.

Arkady said:
Sorry my fault again - I sometimes forget that not all of us use f/2.8 300mm lenses and that slower lenses even exist.
i aim to forget this in the longrun :p

Doesn't everyone use the most expensive lenses in the range?

Arkady said:
Doesn't everyone use the most expensive lenses in the range?
I allways assumed so... but then I've no idea how they work either as I just get the "help" to change to the suitable lens and hold the camera up to my face as I push the shutter button :notworthy: ;)

Well quite... I noticed someone else on here quite rightly uses the Surrey Hunt to run down the dustbunnies off his sensor before despatching them with the old Purdy...
I find the best accessory I've bought this year has been a new Range Rover to carry the tripod in... I just turn up in the armoured Continental and everything's set up for me.

Back