help with experimental video please

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok I can see the errors I have made the big one moving too fast for focus. also need to alter the frame rate possibly as well
This is a completely new project for me so you can see how bad it was.
The object was to give the impression of a small animal walking in between the plants

If Sue (wife) had not watered the plants straight afterward I would have tried again
As they say practice makes perfect so will try again possibly tomorrow weather permitting

Anyway you can see how a beginner makes out with this technique

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZteDfbLihA

Ok how did I do it?

Answer a camcorder on the end of a monopod upside down
like this

3OcwHEQ.jpg

then into adobe elements editing suite to turn the video the right way up and add music. Not a brilliant way of doing things but using what I have

So if anyone can pass on some tips with this low level through foliage type of video I will be most gratiful

Last edited:
Fun project, looks good :) for smoother results a glidecam upside down or gimbal inverted mode would help. Maybe try adding some weight to the top of the monopod if you don’t want to buy extras (search for diy glidecam with monopod)

I can’t help to much with the actual act/video but some general video stuff.

Panning ( rotating side to side) is generally never very good, looks wise.

Frame rate does seem high but what settings did you use ??

But mostly plan the shots in advance, look at what you want to see and plan the shots, do small sections then edit together, or do long but with certain bits you want in the final movie.

Far short of a gimbal of some type you could over come this with planning or prem pro type editing, but mostly planning each shot, so maybe sweeping from one side to the other, then move and do the same again.

As I said I have to make do with what I have. Scott you are correct ,panning is an art in its own, especially working as close up as this. Tim a glidecam may help but I have to consider cost against usage ,being an OAP. The weights idea may be a goer as I have this

xxMOX83.jpg

and the weights are quite heavy, just something with a thread to fit the camcorder to them

This is the area I was doing it in, so maybe a route to sort out is a good idea

qJyAgRD.jpg

So as you can see there is not much room between the plants to work in. So a glidecam or gimbal I don't think would fit.Bit of a job even with a camcorder

Last edited:
Back