Help with latest version of photoshop.

woof woof

I like a nice Chianti
Name
Alan
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I'm giving the latest version of photoshop a look, currently using CS5.

One thing that's missing in the new versions raw processor is the fill light slider and instead it has shadow recovery which is nowhere near as powerful.

I saw that some raws open with the old CS5 layout including the fill light slider but DNG's open without the fill light and just have the shadow recovery slider.

Does anyone know if there's a setting to call up the old layout including the raw fill light slider on command so that I can use it with DNG's?

under calibration try choosing the older versions?

under calibration try choosing the older versions?

Ooooh! You are a star! :D Thanks :D

I had to go from version 5 to version 2 and that brought it back. I can't see any drawback at the mo so I'll have to have a play later and see if I can spot anything missing.

Another thing I thought of doing was using curves but that means choosing another set of tools... and I'm lazy.

Thanks again.

It automatically shows the fill light with some raws and not with others. I suppose it must be something to do with the age of the raw version forb each camera.

Anyway. Thanks :D

It automatically shows the fill light with some raws and not with others
I think it recognises if you've edited the raw file with an old version of ACR (that uses fill light) and automatically reverts to that version for additional editing. If you open a new, unedited, raw file it defaults to the latest version of ACR with shadows/highlights etc.. Lightroom does the same, as it's ACR with a different interface. I may be wrong, but I seem to remember encountering the same issue.

I humbly suggest you try persevering with the latest version as I think it offers more flexibility - YMMV

I think it recognises if you've edited the raw file with an old version of ACR (that uses fill light) and automatically reverts to that version for additional editing. If you open a new, unedited, raw file it defaults to the latest version of ACR with shadows/highlights etc.. Lightroom does the same, as it's ACR with a different interface. I may be wrong, but I seem to remember encountering the same issue.

I humbly suggest you try persevering with the latest version as I think it offers more flexibility - YMMV

You could be right on the recognition of raw files.

The problem I have with the new version is that the shadow slider doesn't have all that much effect, it's nothing like as effective as the fill light slider. I'm finding it next to useless.

Last edited:
Back