Help with lighting

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
I am new to flash photography, and I have been asked to take an indoor group shot next week, of 12 people. There is a huge window that can provide natural light, and I have borrowed some items from a friend. They want to group themselves against an off-white window. Here is what I have available to me: 3 Godox v860ii's with a trigger, two 33 inch shoot-through umbrellas (I think these are too small, but that is what I have) with stands mounts, etc…, How should I light this picture? My guess is to use the available natural light as the key light, perhaps supplementing it with one of the flash units reflected in the umbrella from the window side then have a fill light at 75% shoot through the second umbrella close to the camera, and a back/hair light from on high from the same side as the window. But that is just a guess. What do you guys recommend?

It’s hard to imagine the scene. The gear you have sounds like you will have plenty of options. If the group is facing the window and there’s no harsh direct sunlight it may be that no flash is needed. I would arrange the group as best you can for a good composition and background on the day and use the flash to fix any specific problems. With COVID, you and the group need to take care with masks and distancing most likely too. Where I am, without that, indoors not sure I’d do it.

Hi Tim,

Your advice on Covid is good and important, but the people being photographed are all in a bubble, and I am in the same bubble with four members of the group, so I am less worried than I would be in other circumstances. I too would not consider taking this picture in other circumstances. I have tried to depict the scene.

----------------------------------------
‖ ⁂ Backlight at ceiling height pointing down

‖ x x x x x People
‖ x x x x x x x

‖ ⁂ Reflected secondary key light at something like a 45 to 50 degree angle,

‖ ✙ Fill light through umbrella

‖ ☐ Camera (50/40mm lens)

‖ = Window (Floor to ceiling)
-- = Off-white Wall

Looks, not sure about having the back light and reflector on the window side? Depends if the window is hard or soft light. May need to try those on the right hand side. If you can test ahead of time in the same lighting conditions that will help.

The light will be fairly soft, I live in Canada, and it is a west-facing window. But I will test ahead of time with a bunch of inanimate objects.

Last edited:
What is the rest of the room like? Personally, I would be looking to bounce the flashes for a group that size. Otherwise, if the wall/window are the only usable features I think you will best off with an arrangement more like this.

Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
Back