Help with owl behavior

Name
Nicholas
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm fishing for some information that I'm sure you good ol folk will have some good knowledge of. i have been going out for walks around dusk alot lately in search of owls and I have found a barn owl that i have seen multiple times on different days. so do barn owls use the same hunting route and pattern and hunt around the same time day after day (as long as its dry) or is it more random. also how would i go about locating tawny and littles owls, i have never been able to do it just seem to always find barn owls and struggle with everything else

thank you

A lot would be jealous! Took me ages to find a barn owl site.

But yes, they do use the same hunting routine/range/field.... usually... and I say usually, because I sat for another hour tonight waiting and the usual owl didn't emerge.
Tawny's are "night" owls, so whilst being the most common, you're less likely to see them, they roost in woodland areas, usually close to the trunk of a large oak tree or similar.

Little owls are hedgerow/light woodland owls, and are about during the day.

I'm fishing for some information that I'm sure you good ol folk will have some good knowledge of. i have been going out for walks around dusk alot lately in search of owls and I have found a barn owl that i have seen multiple times on different days. so do barn owls use the same hunting route and pattern and hunt around the same time day after day (as long as its dry) or is it more random. also how would i go about locating tawny and littles owls, i have never been able to do it just seem to always find barn owls and struggle with everything else

thank you
Hi,you find the habitat and you find your subject, get to know as much about your subject as possible as their is always a hot spot in the year when you are more likely to see them more , Barn owls are not as hard to find as people think ,again its finding the habitat , I have been observing little owls for nearly 15 years and find them one of the most hardy little birds and very diurnal at this time of the year, also creatures of habit with their hunting ,just like the barn owls ,its always good to try and find them hunting especially after a few days of rain(little owls love the rain ), even though some will say they wont hunt in the snow ,wind or rain, but I have shots of barn owls doing just that,....its just makes it easier if you know about the subject you are trying to photograph as you can take that knowledge in to the field with you and you don't need long lenses ....good luck in your quest

Last edited:
barn owls seem to be quite common around here i pinned down 1 site and closing down on 2 more and believe it or not on the way to work the other night (only 5 miles away i saw another 2 on posts lol must be lucky with barn owls but rubbish with every other animal.

i think i have only every seen one little owl and it was on a post. any tips on spotting little owls or do i just wait around

Hi,you find the habitat and you find your subject, time patience and knowledge of your subject, I have been observing the little owls behaviour for nearly 14 years
thats fantastic, i have seen some of your photographs and they are fantastic. the problem around my area is finding the animals is the easy part its that all the land is owned by two different estates and seem to get grumpy if you look at there land, so i am stuck on public rights of way, which they isn't many

I too am "stuck" to public right of ways, but thats not always problem... you just have to travel further away! Lol
My barn owl site is about 30mins drive from my house, my little owls, about 20mins.

thats fantastic, i have seen some of your photographs and they are fantastic. the problem around my area is finding the animals is the easy part its that all the land is owned by two different estates and seem to get grumpy if you look at there land, so i am stuck on public rights of way, which they isn't many
Its always worth asking ,I am lucky as I can show the landowners my previous work with the owls and that I have their welfare and interest at all times,i did a presentation for a Yorkshire natural history club last week on the little owl and at the end of the night a couple told me about their little owls at their farm and invited me over to set up some hides ,I had to decline as it was just to far to go especially for observing, if word gets out that your looking to get on the land to check the owls out and you show enough passion you may get on ...

Back