help with rates...

Edit My Images
No
been asked to take some pictures for a local singer at a gig, so essentially its a commission I guess you could say intended use would be for website, I suspect might be used for more. Now, not wanting to be 'the guy who's extremely cheap/free' and get stuck with that label I'm trying to find info about what I should (reasonably) charge, unfortunately google doesn't bring much up other than countless photographers who say 'contact me' for rates or massive variations from hundreds an hour to free...
I'd like to say I can do it but not got much of an idea what to charge :bang: any advice gratefully received
I've got a t&c's somewhere too I can issue to keep things sweet that side...

...oh and its pretty short notice cause the gig is on friday (4th aug)! :eek:

IMO I'd charge something pretty low if it's your first gig shoot. But let them know that this isn't a permanent fee.
The advnatages here are three pronged -
you're not being labelled as free
If it doesn't work out quite how you had hoped you don't feel like you've overcharged
so long as you do a fair job it's a hefty step towards more work in the area.

I'd be looking at somewhere in the £20 / hr ballpark.

Well the going rate is usually the NUJ rates.

http://www.londonfreelance.org/feesguide/index.html

There are some people who will staunchly say don't accept less than the going rate, and there are some who will say ask for less because it's your first gig etc etc.

Ultimately, the above link denotes the going 'rates'. At the end of the day, it's up to you to set what you think you're worth. but pleaeeeease don't sell yourself short.

cheers, fantastic link that.
yes I'd rather aim high and get 'haggled' down, but its having an idea of where to start first! :shrug: I'll continue my search!

I know the feeling mate. I'm one of these people who is always afraid of asking for something. Never got the guts to complain or take something back, so I'm not a natural haggler.

That, coupled with my personal belief and lack of self/photography skills worth etc, means I'm too nice to even ask for money..lol

hmm...so, would £50/hr seem steep? bearing in mind there's more to just the photography but also processing too

ah, no was looking around and £25/hr seems going rate for processing, so a starting fee of £75 (1hr+PP on those images), then sort decent shots out into a cd...now, to charge for the CD?

That link always makes me laugh. Workign in IT with recognised qualifications (eg MCSE etc) I couldn't charge more than £25 - £30 an hour as a contractor in central London and that's with 8 year's commercial experience.

£75 p/h LMAO

I don't see a section for IT though? :bonk:

If you're just starting out and the singer isn't well known I would charge around £75-£100 all in9but be prepared to haggle either way), to include a CD with maybe 20 images that can be used for promo work as well as web sized versions for their website.

I know it's not much but a lot of the local singers don't earn fortunes but it will be good experience for you and gives you a chance to expand your portfolio. I've just gone through the same from the recent gig I covered and whilst I didn't pre-book any fees (I wasn't prepared and was doing it for the experience) from that one shoot I've now got another similar gig this weekend, a big one at the beginning of September, freelance work for the local paper and the other photographer at the gig has just this minute called me to assist him on a couple of weddings in the next few weeks. As a final note I bought a printer for the express purpose of printing CD's and it looks so much more professional, £40 well spent in my opinion.

You never know what's round the corner so take advantage of the opportunities presented and if you get good images from the night it could be the foundation for work/commissions in the future.

well, given half day rates are £300 suggested, then (assuming the 8hrs working day) £300/4 comes to £75. why should that make you laugh?

edit: cheers hacker :)

Marcel said:
I don't see a section for IT though? :bonk:

No my point is that those freelance rates quoted are way too high for 95% of people.

Another thing to specify is to who owns the copyright and / or publishing rights to the images.

A higher rate could be charged for handing over the rights BUT keeping all rights could result in the photo's being a good source of revenue in the future should the singer make the big time.

Back