Help with testing my new lens

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys this may sound :wacky: but I would like to test my new lenses the Sigma 10-20mm & 24-70mm. I would like to know whats the best way to test them to check there working OK.

From looking around over time I see there can be problems with the 10-20mm something to do with the lens and softness on the left hand or blurring issues to the left side of the image:shrug: I do know. How do i test for this ?.

All so with the 24-70mm i would like to test IQ whats the best way to go about this ?. As I don't realy now how to just yet.

Sorry for the stupid questions but if i don't ask i wont know

1. Take pictures of the kinds of things you normally photograph.
2. Convert to the maximum size you normally use.
3. Inspect.

I'm sure there's more you *could* do, but why would you *want* to?

As Stewart says - if it doesn't show in your pictures, why worry.
I feel that too many people get caught up in too much technical stuff, and I doubt that many people will ever notice, while looking at pictures, if your lens is slightly softer or sharper than another example, unless it is totally obvious, in which case you'll see it too !

Ok thanks guys I only ask becouse of what I read all so I dont use PS as I dont no where to start with it. I just take a photo and thats it.

As Stewart says - if it doesn't show in your pictures, why worry.
I feel that too many people get caught up in too much technical stuff, and I doubt that many people will ever notice, while looking at pictures, if your lens is slightly softer or sharper than another example, unless it is totally obvious, in which case you'll see it too !

Agree with that...take a picture, if it looks OK to you then the lens is working fine. As Steve mentions, some people spend too much time actually looking for faults with the pictures that a lens takes rather than enjoying the actual picture - I suppose this can be likened to the Hi-Fi buffs who to my mind spend more time listening to the errors in the system than listening to the music, each to their own I suppose!

going to have a walk around later if i can and get some shots ill post the pic's up inabit

Thanks for the link m8 but found it the othere day and i cant set a 45D angle up lol

There's probably more variation in all the people's eyes than their 10-20's

Hay guys just did a test with my wide angle lens all looks ok to me what you think ? ISO 100 1/250 F9

10mm
wide10mm.jpg

20mm
wide20mm.jpg

If you like taking pictures of brick walls, and you never want to see them larger than that (which would print to about 3" by 2"), then that's a fine test. But it would be better still if you were absolutely square on to the wall.

Otherwise I'd suggest it's not terribly helpful.

oh ok what would make for a good test shot you think ?

Something that you plan to shoot with the lens, if you got it for landscapes go and take some if they look good then stop worrying about the quality of the lens if not then post them up here for some analysis.

If you look hard enough you'll find fault with any lens on any camera and it's just not worth it.

Why pixel peep a brand new lens? The best test is to take your normal style of photograph [i.e. just get out there and use them] and check the results, if you are happy with them it's all good. If not then start with the test charts etc.

Hi guys im not looking for fults in the lens. I just wont to check I dont have the comone problem with this lens. Thats all as I dont know what im ment to be looking for.

This is my first wide angle lens so not 100% whats going to be the primary used for but I do like its ability to take photos like this. I have taken this phone around 15 minutes ago

A i realy like it please note i do not now how to yous PS so no editing at all so maybe it good look a bit better.

myfirstPH800x600.jpg

I think i may get the mask photo printed but would like to get the paint sorted out so it dont stand out as much

I think i may get the mask photo printed but would like to get the paint sorted out so it dont stand out as much

I wouldn't get that printed out with the bus stop sign in it, it would do my head in!

Good to see your out enjoying that new lens!

Back