Help with using FLASH

EdinburghGary

Reply not Report
Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys,

I am heading out shortly for an overnight at a local beach. Quick question RE setting up a shot...

Lets say I have a big pile of rocks on the beach, and I want to use FLASH to illuminate them. How could I first of all capture this flash shot, as well as a slow moving wispy seascape backdrop?

Is it a case of take the first photo with flash, and the 2nd without on a long exposure? Or can I use flash curtains?

Any help appreciated!!

Gary.

Use slow Synch on the D3.

Something like 3-4 seconds on the exposure at whatever F stop you deem necessary, which will give you your wispy seascape, then the flash will fire to illiminate your rocks.
The slow synch basically fires the flash at the beginning of the longer exposure.

So you are exposing for the background and lighting the foreground (rocks) with the flash.

If that makes any sense at all......:bonk::bonk::bonk:

Not sure I've explained that very well, someone else will probably be able to do so clearer.

Basically - change the flash mode to when it says "Slow" on the top LCD (flash mode on Command Wheel on left of viewfinder).

Then try it out, but remember you are exposing for the background. Use the flash on manual and set the power yourself and you will have much more control.

Or alternatively on a 4 second exposure, have the flash off camera in your hand and use the test button to illuminate the rocks. Probably get a better shot that way.

I think it's clear enough, and correct, but you may get a little of the sea frozen with the flash onto the rocks (depends on the strength of the flash and how close to the water edge you are) which may conflict with the smooth effect of the sea on the long exposure. Prefect time to test the theory methinks.

Thanks for the help Barney, will have a play about and post the 30odd results, naturally :D

Gary.

Where are they! Hehe!

It would be good to know how you got on! I'd have gone for the long exposure with the flash off camera in your hand and firing with the test button.

If you want to see some stunning photos done in that style look for "Lost America" on Flickr.

still on the beach, I kid you not :). Opposite the QE2 as I type this. Been here for nearly 24 hours now, cold.

Back