Here's one for the Nikon CLS crowd...

Name
Pat MacInnes
Edit My Images
Yes
Getting interested in this Nikon CLS mallarky but would like to know about mixing CLS with wired flashes.

I have a D200 with and SB800 and am having some fun with off-camera flash using CLS. However, as I'm not yet able to buy another CLS-based Flash (SB600/800) can I connect a flash with manual controls via wire to the off-camera SB800? Is the PC socket on the SB800 just an input from the camera or can it be used to fire another flash?

You could connect a normal flash to the D200 and fire the SB800 using the light from the attached flash. Alternatively you could fire an external flash via a sync cable and this flash activating could set off your SB800 OR use the commander mode to fire the SB800 and use another external flash in IR sync mode.

My thought was if the SB800 could be wired to fire another flash, I could be wireless and move around at will. i might be on a road to nowhere with this one though... :)

You can use your camera to trigger any type of remote flash gun, however you wont be able to use the CLS meaning you wont be able to control the power of the flash from your camera.

So the short answer is no, you wont be able to use CLS with other flashes remotely

Back