heron - not cormorant !!! ( durham riverside )

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
nightmare to shoot , direct into the sun !!!!!!!! , can anyone tone down the background a bit without losing the bird please :)

Last edited:
Yes, a heron.
Tried to improve it, but never got a great result. Could have done better with a RAW file.

Pity - could have been a really good heron pic with the sun at your back.

Isnt that a heron?

total brain fade going on here , can you alter the title to heron for me please :)

Yes, a heron.
Tried to improve it, but never got a great result. Could have done better with a RAW file.

Pity - could have been a really good heron pic with the sun at your back.

no way to get the sun at my back unfortunately :( , i dont have a raw file , i only shot jpeg :(

This is a really poor attempt, but I'm on my laptop and I'm trying to pack for camping at the same time lol.

Don't expect you to like it, even I don't, but I think to try and save it I did the following:

- Reduced the clarity of the water
- Reduced the exposure of the water
- Increased the exposure on the heron
- Increased the clarity of the heron
- Changed the hue of the water

These were all very small adjustments using the adjustment brush in Lightroom, but it shifts the focus from the image being bright as a whole, to just the heron. Obviously if you spent a while on it you could get it looking a lot better than my quick attempt.

Nice shot btw, just a shame about the sun. :)

Heron-1.jpg

thanks , i really need to get my head around photoshop !!! , i am surprised at the detail i have captured , it must have been a good 60 odd foot away , took a very heavy crop :eek:

Hi

You can change it yourself by hitting "Edit" then "Go advanced". :)

I hit edit and NO "go advanced"......my software I fear..............

Anyway I do a quick colour pop in these cases.Colour Heron ...b/w b/g in whatever shade you like.

keith

Not sure about PS, but in Lightroom it's just a case of

- Going into Develop mode
- Selecting Adjustment Brush (Just below histogram on RHS) (Or shortcut K)
- Choosing what you want to change and by how much (Clarity, Exposure etc)
- Scroll your mouse wheel to change the size of the brush
- Paint the areas you want to change.

Looking at my try again it really is quite poor lol, hopefully will provide some inspiration though. :)

I had a similar situation not too long ago, mine looks really fake though:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3597/3578404005_3a7424b3c0.jpg?v=0

i am deffo liking lightroom , just had a play with the demo , very impressive :)

had a play about with a different image , loads to learn :eek:

hi, i really like your first pic, you have done well to get the heron exposed like you have,
Im affraid i cant help with processing, (need to learn more on that myself!)
with the right processing skills, it could be even better, also i wonder how this would look in black and white.... just a thought.;)

thanks , lightroom is very good i reckon , still lots to take in though :D

There's promise in that first one, and the second ones pretty good too (y)

There's promise in that first one, and the second ones pretty good too (y)

thankyou , i am quickly starting to learn that taking the shot is only the starting point , so much can be done in PP it is amazing , or am i relying too much on PP :eek:

Back