Heron - Waiting for his evening meal

Edit My Images
Yes
I was down by the River Suir - in Clonmel, TIpperary two days ago, looking to photograph some Hog Weed for the Tipperary Voice for an article. I spotted this Chap ' at the bottom of a small waterfall ' waiting for his supper.
I did not have a tripod , and I wanted to capture the movement of the water . As he was perfectly Still, I was able to use the Image Stabaliser on the 100-400L Canon lens, with my 1DS Mk2..
Herononeslowwatershottv.jpg

I set the ISO at 50, shutter at a 40th of a sec, and the apeture to about F11 or s maller to give me this slow speed. The Focal length was 400mm . I was amazed that handholding I was able to get a picture at all.
Comments welcome
Andy

Fantastic shot& for me the flowing water is just right. Canna dae wi that milky effect!. Maybe just a wee crop off the bottom.

Thanks very much for your comments.. I will be honest with you, that is the first time I have tried the "milky" water effect, even though I am a Pro Freelance photographer working for Newspapers and private work. So - just give it a try and you might be surpised.. I broke all the rules with this shot and must have been on the limit for the IS system..

Thanks for looking..

Andy

Wow that heron must have been standing very very still. A lovely picture and great capture of detail.

Thanks...

He eventually got his meal.. Not a great shot and a bit of a crop - But for the record.. again using the 100-400 and 1DS ..

HRN.jpg

Andy

Thanks for comments and looking..
Andy

Papalazarou - looked at that link... incredible pics of the Heron and its prey..Thanks

Lovely picture the first is Andy ... (y) ... and the second is a good 'un for completing the story line you have chosen ... :D ... well done ... ;)

:p

Two brilliant shots, Andy. Just love the water.. youve just caught it at the right speed, well done.

Excellent shots :clap: Love the first shot ,slowing down the water really makes it . (y)

Superb mate..love the feeding one!..I keep trying to get a shot of a heron but none as yet..to get one like that would make me a happy man!..well done

Great shots, but that first one is absolutely stunning.
Love the 'milky' water effect. Just the right amount of blur.

Thanks again ladies and gents for the comments.. Stuart H Like your self portrait.. !! :}}
Andy

Thanks Madmitch ..

Andy

Back