Heron

Name
Kevin
Edit My Images
Yes
Was out in the Park this afternoon and heading back to the car in failing light at about 4pm when with only a 200mm lenses to hand i grabbed this shot.

Heron5.jpg

Pity the focus was on auto & not manual. These things don't always give you time to compose a shot though.

To be honest it all looks a bit messy to me with branches in the way and it looks like it is perched on discarded corrugated plastic roofing panels and I can't make out what that material is in the background, is it netting?. No, not one I would post for critique, I suppose it is ok for to show your mates a pic of a heron you saw.
Sorry to be so critical but hey you can be the same with mine if it deserves it, that's what it is all about on this forum:).

Have to agree with Galaxy66.
Sometimes, unless the subject is interesting, unusual etc, it is better to pass on a "grab" shot and wait for a better opportunity. In this case all the clutter is too distracting and the subject of the image soft.
Sorry :(

yeah sorry, i agree with the above comments.

it looks like its been taken with a mobile phone,

i wouldnt have even gone to the trouble to do anything with that.

but the good thing is, at least you know hes around in that area, maybe you could go back and "hunt" it out and get some decent shots of it

but the good thing is, at least you know hes around in that area, maybe you could go back and "hunt" it out and get some decent shots of it

Yep. They do tend to keep going back to the same area. As DoubleT says - go back at about the same time of day but get a nearer and better vantage point.

Thanks all, I am old and mature enough to take the highs and the lows, so that doesnt bother me.

The plastic mesh is a form of 'trap' i think to stop debris going from one pool to the other so i know it isnt the most inspiring setting. I hadnt gone there for the birds, I will post later what I went there for, so it was a 'on the way home' grab shot and as I said in failing light. There is another park slightly closer to home where they have a Heron Watch later each year so I will be there for that for a longer lens and tripod and with the intent of catching the birds (y)

Thanks for the critique :)

Oh and Ugs the only way to get nearer that particular spot is with a longer lens, thats about the closet spot, hence the other location above without the clutter :)

Theres one that hangs around near our house and it flew right in front of me the other day. I had my camera with me and everything but was fumbling like such an idiot that I couldn't manage to get it in frame. It had gone by the time I composed myself. The best I've got is it sitting on top of a house a few doors down.

I would have to agree with the other comments about your shot sheep although mines not much better..

They are very wimpy arn't they.

Back