Hi...Some advice please.

Name
Vicky
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi lovely people.

I studied film photography at college years ago. I have recently started to get creative and explore with cameras again.

I'm going to Spain in a few weeks and I've never taken any of my film cameras abroad.
I'd like to take my Pentax program A & Minolta 507si.

Are there any restrictions when taking film and cameras aboard. When at the airport do they need to check the film and the cameras?

Sorry if the questions are stupid. I'm new to this

Thanks

Vicky,

Hello and welcome :D

Someone will be along to answer your question but in the meantime I just wanted to say, nothing is too stupid to ask. Believe me :D

I really can't see why there would be any restrictions on cameras or film. I've flown with digital cameras plenty of times in hand luggage and never had a problem.

I would remove any camera with film loaded or any rolls of film from your bag before it goes through any x-ray machine though.

I really can't see why there would be any restrictions on cameras or film. I've flown with digital cameras plenty of times in hand luggage and never had a problem.

I would remove any camera with film loaded or any rolls of film from your bag before it goes through any x-ray machine though.

I haven't been on holiday in a while, so I was just checking.

I wasn't going to load any film in my cameras.
I didn't know if I should leave my film in my bag or take it out before it goes through x - ray, now I know what to do.

Thank you for taking the time to reply

Hi Vicky, And welcome aboard TP, looking forward to hearing from you and maybe seeing some of your images on the various forums. "Enjoy"

Hi Vicky and welcome to TP.

We have a dedicated Film and conventional section.
Perhaps you will get more answers if you asked in there

I have always taken film cameras and film to Spain, packed into hand luggage and never had a problem.

I would not recommend packing into your suitcase has the scanners for hold luggage are more powerful and may affect the film.

Last edited:
If you stick the films in a separate bag, you should be able to ask for them to be hand checked rather than chucked through the scanners. Been a while since I travelled with film in the bag but never had any fogging problems even after 3 trips (so 6 scans). Bear in mind that that was over 10 years ago now and scanner technology will probably have changed since then!

Back in the day when I would take 12 off 36exposure slide colour film on holiday, I would put all the canisters in a clear plastic bag and ask that it be hand checked.

IIRC there was a time when (at certain airports?) it was said that hand checking was no longer available so to use a "shield bag" that would minimise the X-ray exposure of the film.

Suffice to say I don't recall getting any obvious fogging effects.

But as noted above the scanner technology has moved on a few generations.....so perhaps best to look on the airports websites for information and/or email them???

Welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy your holiday.

Back