Hi to all...

Name
Douglas
Edit My Images
Yes
I've just found this forum, and I'm very pleased to have done so!!

I'm from Cumbria - Longtown, near the Scots border, just a couple of miles from the Solway Firt, which is great for wildfowl and seabirds.

I've been a pro level photographer since the late sixties, Scenes of crime/forensic photographer. Now retired... I took early retirement aged 50.

My outfit is canon - 1DmkIIN, 20D, 20-35 f2.8L, 28 - 80 f2.8L, 70 - 200 f4L, 80 - 200 f2.8L, 100 - 300 f5.6L, and 50 - 500 f4-5.6 EX Sigma.

My lenses are old, but well serviced, and good as the day they were made, and I've yet to feel the need to upgrade to newer copies.

I now enjoy landscape and architectural photography, with a fair bit of 'birding' when I get the chance.

Thanks for letting me in.

Doug

Hi Doug

Wow - what a wealth of experience and a beautiful place to enjoy it.

Welcome. I'm sure you'll be much appreciated by us duffers looking for help and advice.

Jon

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the welcome:)

I know your part of the world. Used to live in Farnborough, have two sisters, one in Frimley, one in Cove.

Used to do a lot of fishing as a lad in Frimley big pond!! Is it still there??

I've lived here for 7 years now, a Herefordian at heart.

They drove an enormous dual-carriageway from the M3 to the Hogs Back, Doug. There are still ponds either side but i couldn't tell you if they were once one. The good news is that they are still habitated by wildlife!

I've lived here for 7 years now, a Herefordian at heart.

They drove an enormous dual-carriageway from the M3 to the Hogs Back, Doug. There are still ponds either side but i couldn't tell you if they were once one. The good news is that they are still habitated by wildlife!

Ah, the Hogs back!!

There used to be a Transport Cafe on the Hogs Back, just south of Tongham, where I often used to spend my weekends hanging about with the bikers:)

Probably gone now, but it used to serve the best 'full english' ever. Having said that, when I were but a callow youth, my whole world stopped north of the A3, and only extended as far south asHayling Island. Not a lot of culinary competitiom then:D

The Cafe is still there - pass it every day on my commute. It was closed for a while and the sign still says it is. The view on the other side is still lovely.

Hello and :welcome: to TP Forums Doug ... enjoy ... (y)

Sounds like you will be answering questions rahter than posing then ... experience and knowledge is always helpful and the more the merrier ... :D

:p

Feel like I'm intruding on 2 old mates here :)

Welcome to the forum :)

Sounds like you will be answering questions rahter than posing then ... experience and knowledge is always helpful and the more the merrier ... :D

Still a bit of a novice when it comes to digital:thinking: I think I've got it all cracked, then I hit yet another stumbling block:wacky:

(y) welcome doug (y)

Welcome!

:welcome:

Hi Doug, Welcome to TPF (y)

Hi Doug.

I think the cafe you were referring to is Alf's cafe, opposite the Jolly Farmer pub in Tongham.

It was closed about two years ago .... And yes, they served a great breakfast.

Hi Doug.

I think the cafe you were referring to is Alf's cafe, opposite the Jolly Farmer pub in Tongham.

It was closed about two years ago .... And yes, they served a great breakfast.

That's probably the one:)

Used to have great times there when I were but a lad:D

Hello and welcome :wave:

Back