Hi

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello

My name is Jon, I'm 27 from west mids.

Used to be into photography when I was younger back in the 35mm days. Recently bought a D40 18-55 55-200 lenses and a few other bits.

Not used it massivley yet apart from a month or so ago. Went to London to see Metallica at Wembley stadium. Took over 500 photos that day, went round London also.

Photo's came out alright from the gig. Harder when it got darker needed a tripod ideally. In auto mode because the band were moving it didnt really pick it up being far away so was too slow shutter speed. Manual settings proved the best trade off between exposure and sharpness espicially as couldn't seem to get flash (built in) working in manual mode. Should have read the manual!

The 'London' shots were ok, but on the London eye was shooting through the window so some have reflections, any way to get round this on photoshop? Would a filter have worked on the lens, polarising perhaps?

The plan was and still is when I go out on my motorbike to take camera but with the crap weather not been out so much.

Like landscape/wildlife/arty shots. Done some sports in the past, did an athletics meet on work experience about 12 years go, came out really well. Considering I had 1000th shutter speed, manual focus and manual winder.

Hi and welcome :wave:

:wave: Hello, new here too and it seems like a great place.

paul.

Hello there. A tripod wouldn't help at a gig. The camera would be still and the long exposure would create a blurry mess of people running about the stage :) What you need is a higher ISO and a faster lens, aperture wise. f/2.8 minimum.

Tried it at higher ISO but turned about noisy as you would expect.

Was using 55-200 lens, at full zoom most of the time so not ideal aperture wise. Guess that's why 2.8< lenses cost a fortune.

As i've come from film SLR and that was years ago all these extra setting are new to me. i.e ISO range, white balance and having a greater range of shutters speeds for example. It's starting to come back to me but can't just do everythign off by heart at the moment.

So really need to have a play when I can. Get used to the new settings.

Just been browsing the forum, the 'on assignment' threads looks brill. Lots of interesting photo's and idea's there.

Hello :)

Big difference from film days is it costs nothing to learn so the learning is quicker. Enjoy :)

Welcome :)

Back