Hi8 tapes problem

Name
Helen
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,
I've got a stack of old Hi8 tapes that I want to digitise.
The Sony camera we recorded them on is long gone.
I've purchased a Hitachi camera (thinking that all Hi8 tapes must be the same) but all the tapes seem to be blank (they have that grainy picture) but I don't think all the tapes can be blank.
I've started to so some research and it seems it might be a long play problem (and that not all Hi8 tapes are the same?)? Is someone able to please tell me if this could be the problem? And how I could go about playing and digitising these tapes please?
Much appreciated,
Helen

Hi,
I've got a stack of old Hi8 tapes that I want to digitise.
The Sony camera we recorded them on is long gone.
I've purchased a Hitachi camera (thinking that all Hi8 tapes must be the same) but all the tapes seem to be blank (they have that grainy picture) but I don't think all the tapes can be blank.
I've started to so some research and it seems it might be a long play problem (and that not all Hi8 tapes are the same?)? Is someone able to please tell me if this could be the problem? And how I could go about playing and digitising these tapes please?
Much appreciated,
Helen
Can't say if it is a problem, I have never used long play.

Also had similar earlier this year, my Sony expired and strangely I also bought a Hitachi to copy the tapes, but had no problems.

Hugely time consuming job though, as many of my tapes have bits of video scattered along the tape, must have taken 3-4 hours for every hour of video !

Another potential problem could be a cheap or faulty fire-wire cable, if that is what it uses, but then you will see the videos OK on the camera, but not the PC

May be an idea to find some one else with a camera to test, as it could be the camera you bought (you didn't mention if you had tested it)

Can't say if it is a problem, I have never used long play.

Also had similar earlier this year, my Sony expired and strangely I also bought a Hitachi to copy the tapes, but had no problems.

Hugely time consuming job though, as many of my tapes have bits of video scattered along the tape, must have taken 3-4 hours for every hour of video !

Another potential problem could be a cheap or faulty fire-wire cable, if that is what it uses, but then you will see the videos OK on the camera, but not the PC

May be an idea to find some one else with a camera to test, as it could be the camera you bought (you didn't mention if you had tested it)
Hi Sangoma
I bought it via ebay and the seller said she had tested it. Sounds like a good idea to test with another camera, will have to track one down.
I did connect it up to the computer to see if I could see the video on the Elgato Video Capture program but it looked the same.
Helen

Could they be reading writing in a different format? Know nothing much about hi8.

Could they be reading writing in a different format? Know nothing much about hi8.
Yes, it is possible if the camera purchased in just 8mm (video8)

An older 8mm tape will play in a hi8 player/camera, but a hi8 tape will not play on an older 8mm analogue camera/player

Back