Hides

Edit My Images
No
I've noticed a fair few of the nature/birding threads seem to mention hides.

Do you generally use fixed hides (in which case, where are all these great hides with oodles of wildlife? :LOL:) or portable hides?

If it's the portable variety, are there any particularly good ones around?

In the UK I use both types. Some of the better permanent wooden hides I've used are on private land used with the landowners permission.

I've got a few portable blinds of different types.

Is there anyway of finding out locations of hides, or do you just ask around?

In terms of portables - at the moment I guess I'm looking at something like this or maybe this. Budget wise, I don't really want to spend much more than that at least until I know I'm actually going to get some decent use out of it :)
Any thoughts from anyone on either of those would be much appreciated...

At the moment I find I'm spending a lot of time just scaring things off, which is frustrating and, I can't help but feel, a little on the unethical side too!

In terms of portables - at the moment I guess I'm looking at something like this or maybe this. Budget wise, I don't really want to spend much more than that at least until I know I'm actually going to get some decent use out of it :)

At the moment I find I'm spending a lot of time just scaring things off, which is frustrating and, I can't help but feel, a little on the unethical side too!

Some of the private permanent hides I've used have been owned/run by local Natural History Societies. You could find out if there's any near you and if they have hides.

I've got a couple of commercially made portable hides and a couple of home made ones.

Some of the private permanent hides I've used have been owned/run by local Natural History Societies. You could find out if there's any near you and if they have hides.

I've got a couple of commercially made portable hides and a couple of home made ones.

Cheers.

I decided to order a portable hide - should be fun hopefully :)

Another query now. My main wildlife lens at the moment is the 100-400L. I love it, but it seems impossible to camouflage effectively. I've looked all over for solutions that cover the whole thing, but most my searches seem to turn up neoprene wraps that are very expensive considering they leave the extending part bare....

Have any 100-400 owners come up with any decent solutions?

Cheers.

I decided to order a portable hide - should be fun hopefully :)

Another query now. My main wildlife lens at the moment is the 100-400L. I love it, but it seems impossible to camouflage effectively. I've looked all over for solutions that cover the whole thing, but most my searches seem to turn up neoprene wraps that are very expensive considering they leave the extending part bare....

Have any 100-400 owners come up with any decent solutions?

I don't think you need to camouflage a lens.

I came to the conclusion years ago that if anything spooks wildlife it's a huge eye looking at them (the front element of the lens) not the body of the lens.

Back