High density ungradiated 82mm ND Filter

Edit My Images
No
Wondering if anyone had any reccomendations for this?
I'm looking for something to fit to my sigma 24-70 to lengthen my exposure time long enough to get a pretty transparent motion blur of people going past the camera during the day.

I'm having a bit of a problem actually finding any filters that have a reasonable fstop reduction in this size!

Reccomendations much appreciated :D

Get yourself a Wratten 87c (IR Filter) and a couple of ND8's, this will give you maybe a couple of hours. Thats if your shooting canon, nikon are a bit more responsive to IR light so you wouldnt get quite as long.

wouldn't an IR filter give a weird black and white effect?
As from the IR shots I've seen previously it's not quite what I'm after...

Also a couple of hours is more than I'm looking for, I'm trying to get some-one to sit still in the middle of it, so I think more than a couple of minutes will be unreasonable! :)

A Cokin P filter holder or Lee system holder and stacked ND8 filters?

Yeah an IR filter will distort the colours but I thought you were after very long exposures which an wratten IR filter on a modern dSLR would get you 10-20min exposures easily then nd filters to length that.

To get serveral minutes during the day you would need probably several nd filters. I used to have a calculator that you could work out how many you would need but I have been unable to find it.

Please excuse the noobiness.... but why would you ever need a 10-20 min exposure? What would this show/accomplish...?

Ta for any advice.

Toukakoukan has said he's looking for a couple of minutes though I reckon as long as all other people in the shot are moving even 30 seconds should be enough to accomplish what he's looking to do.

Somebody posted a shot taken on a bridge in London not too long ago which shows what I think Toukakoukan is trying to do (at least with the blurred paople) but I can't remember who or what the title was.

I don't really know how long I'll need as I've never done any long exposure photography before.
But I think I'll need a couple of minutes as least as it's not actually a crowd shot per-se it's a shot at ground level where people will be passing between the camera and the subject.

I use an B&W F-PRO 10stop ND filter, which gets me about 2 minutes at f22 on an average day, with the camera pointed at the sea. Two of these staked would keep you going for a while.(y)

Would the Cokin P System work well enough? Seem very cheap!
MK: I'm trying to preserve the colour if possible that's the thing!

Would the Cokin P System work well enough? Seem very cheap!
MK: I'm trying to preserve the colour if possible that's the thing!

If you mean the 'B&W' part, then thats got nothing to do with Black and White. It stands for Biermann and Weber.:)

If you mean avoid colour casting, then yes such a dense filter does colour cast a fair amount. But as its not a graduated filter, the casting will be even throughout the shot so is easy enough to fix if you shoot in RAW.

Edit; And I don't think Cokin or Lee make such a dense filter (Certainly not without making one to order). Ive got a super dense one for my Lee kit, which Dino-F off these forums made me.

Well the cokin P holder will take 3 or 4 filters one in front of the other, if the holder is big enough to fit your lens (if not then go for the Lee system) you can as I suggested above add ND8 or ND4 filters to suit you.

Back