High & Dry - low tide in the creek..

Name
Toby
Edit My Images
No
Helford, Cornwall. The plug gets pulled out twice daily..

DSC_7860HDRWB-2.jpg

DSC_7869HDRBWB-1.jpg

DSC_7871HDRWB-3.jpg

DSC_7875HDRW-3.jpg

Last edited:
I like the first two Toby but they all look a bit dark/heavy to me

Donna, given that your two recent posts look rather light to me, (as indeed do everybody else's) I am assuming my monitor calibration is up the same creek! I have fiddled about with it, and lifted the three colour shots and reposted. My efforts on the B&W seem to have made it darker, so I will have another go at that. Many thanks.

Are they better now, or do I need to lift more?

Donna, given that your two recent posts look rather light to me, (as indeed do everybody else's) I am assuming my monitor calibration is up the same creek! I have fiddled about with it, and lifted the three colour shots and reposted. My efforts on the B&W seem to have made it darker, so I will have another go at that. Many thanks.

Are they better now, or do I need to lift more?

I dont think they need lifting anymore, I just think these shots are abit boring nothing to make me look at them for any longer than a second, It doesn't help shooting in such horrible weather, and they are not the best of compositions. try shooting at sunset or sunrise depending of location and where the sun sets etc... Try and vision your shot in your head first and then go out and find it, do alot of research of the area. Please dont think im being horrible and harsh Im not , just trying to help you. with the digital age we can make lots of mistakes with out costing us alot.

Hope thats helped

Regards

Dominic

Last edited:
They still look a little dark to my eyes mate, that's fine if that's your intention of course. I'd be tempted to nudge the middle slider on a levels adjustment a tad [or pull up the middle of a curve].

I like 1 and 2, but 3 and 4 don't do a great deal for me. I think because there's less of a defined subject compared to the first two.

Toby, they are certainly better, 1 & 4 now look OK but with a heavy sky, 3 still looks dark to me, I think the exposure is right but the brightness wrong. I am not really qualified to comment on the B&W nice that it is but I would still lift it a bit.

What sort of monitor do you have?

OK, have lifted again, including the B&W. #4 is beginning to lose contrast from here, so I daren't go further.

Thanks to you all for your kind comments, this has really helped, in lots of ways.

Special mention reserved for Dominic - my friend, don't beat about the bush, say it like it really is.. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

No, really, all appreciated. I have to say though, that this is a place I have known since I was about 3. I am now 50! If I 've got it that badly wrong, I guess I should hang up the old Nikon for good. I should probably also add that if I see another sunset or sunrise shot I shall probably finally go barmy...:thinking:... There is, all else apart, a whole day between the two!

Donna, the monitor is the most basic Dell. My lovely 19" gave up the ghost, so waiting for a new 22". In the meantime I might give up on PP - its like feeling your way around in the dark.

#1 would have been really nice if the foreground seaweed was in better focus too.

#2 I like. considering the light available I think you've captured the mood nicely with the conversion. Little bit of silver filter?

#3 seems way too heavy for me too.

#4 has a hazed look that washes it out a bit. Not enough interest either.

Toby, the latest edition is the best yet, I now really like No.2 but I have to sympathise with dominic re general subject matter. Best of luck with the new monitor.

Dunno what to make of these not up to your usual std seems to me to have a hint of a halo around them

Dave

Hi Toby, I am invariably the incongruent within any discussion and would like say that I find your "High & Dry" set both interesting and pleasing. You mention that this is a place you have known since you were about 3, so in that sense I can see them through your eyes if you will. Having visited Cornwall, Looe, Polperro, St Ives and such I have been likewise entranced over how boats and harbours are laid bare when the tide goes out.

Back