plugphotography-02.jpg

plugphotography-03.jpg

plugphotography-16.jpg

Hi guys N girls....
a small selection of my Automotive folio....Enjoy

please visit my website for more:

http://plugphotography.com

many thanks(y)

The first looks a bit lost against the (dropped in?) background.

Second has great potential with that setting, just lacks a bit of dynamism that might have been present if the car was less central - could the chase car have used any of the other lane/ Noble have overtaken. Could be worse- could be a rig shot ;) Well controlled light for what's clearly not the best time of day.

Good to see some cars on here, makes a change from all the planes and trains

Last edited:
the maserati and the Supercharged Chevy engine are shot on location, then I used photoshop to create a studio type environment...

The first Noble image is a tracking shot done from the boot of a Rangrover Sport at about 40mph, the second is an HDR multiple exposure, tone mapped.

the maserati and the Supercharged Chevy engine are shot on location, then I used photoshop to create a studio type environment...

Figured as much. The engine shot is more successful as it doesn't suffer from giveaway reflections of the surrounding area - I can see a wall/ building in the Maser rear window and there's a fence in the bumper. Shame there's no way you could have PPd the background so the car's in its original setting

The first Noble image is a tracking shot done from the boot of a Rangrover Sport at about 40mph, the second is an HDR multiple exposure, tone mapped.

Like I said, the tracking shot's decent but I think with a change of comp it could've been awesome. The HDR processing doesn't work for me although the setting's alright.

Figured as much. The engine shot is more successful as it doesn't suffer from giveaway reflections of the surrounding area - I can see a wall/ building in the Maser rear window and there's a fence in the bumper. Shame there's no way you could have PPd the background so the car's in its original setting

Like I said, the tracking shot's decent but I think with a change of comp it could've been awesome. The HDR processing doesn't work for me although the setting's alright.

Most people I know (incl commercial car photographers) seem to prefer the first Noble tracking shot precisely because it’s slightly off centre, bit of a different angle…..

As for the HDR Noble shot....the client loved it...so I'm ok with that.

I have tones of tracking shots to be fair mate, each to their own and all that, here is a different one:

plugphotography-6.jpg

I'm pretty forward with C&C so don't take offense.

1. Truly awful, just bin it. Reflections are the least of your worries in that image.
2. Is nice as it is, comp is loose but it works. A little more POP with a play in PS could make it great (apart from the window being open).
3. I'm not going to comment on as I don't like HDR.
4. Lacks pop, no focal point etc.

love the noble
walk passed one most days on the way to work as a dentist in town has one :)
surely not the best car to commute in though!

Yeh, they are nice, I got to borrow this one for a weekend, and it was great fun, v fast and quite comfortable apart from the hefty clutch and getting in & out!

I'm pretty forward with C&C so don't take offense.

1. Truly awful, just bin it. Reflections are the least of your worries in that image.
2. Is nice as it is, comp is loose but it works. A little more POP with a play in PS could make it great (apart from the window being open).
3. I'm not going to comment on as I don't like HDR.
4. Lacks pop, no focal point etc.

Ok...perhaps a little strong fella, but no offence taken at all, like I said...each to their own and all that.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers

Ok...perhaps a little strong fella, but no offence taken at all, like I said...each to their own and all that.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers

I'd recommend that you listen to Dean an And - They are both very good photographers who are very knowledgeable about car photography. Just have a look at their portfolios ;)

The 2nd photo is the keeper of the bunch - shame about the crop, but the lovely road makes up for it :)

George

i think there all ace fella and the noble is a awesome car. i can see what people mean about the black background on the first one though i like the hdr the best is that battersea power station i spy

Thanks for looking, and I will take all comments on board, naturally.

The first image was just playing in Photoshop, I’m not taking that image too seriously, just experimenting……and the reflections are a pain for sure.

Seems HDR photography is loved or hated….I do agree it can be OTT sometimes.

I have been shooting automotive specific backgrounds/landscapes with supporting HDRIs for CGI uses for the last 3 years for a UK based visualisation company, so I have been working with HDRs for quite a while. I have only been shooting cars for about a year really, so plenty more to learn.

Cheers.

Back