high speed flash?

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
No
Hi all

I'm looking at doing water drop stuff and high speed shots :D am I right in thinking if I take the flash down to 1/64 (MT-24ex) the flash will be faster than at 1/1? but with less power :thinking:

Thyristor controlled flashes do have a shorter lit time (that is how they control the flash power)

However even at full power the flash is only on for a very VERY short amount of time. If you are seeing soft images then I would looking to control the ambient light, or possibly camera shake but with such short exposures that should not be too much of a problem.

A picture paints a thousand words so post up some shots :)

You don't really need HS flash for water drops etc, just ensure there is plenty light on scene.
Natural daylight with a couple of Ikea desk lamps will be just as good as flashing ;)

Hi all

I'm looking at doing water drop stuff and high speed shots :D am I right in thinking if I take the flash down to 1/64 (MT-24ex) the flash will be faster than at 1/1? but with less power :thinking:

Yes your quite right a lower power will give you a shorter flash duration and less power. When used with a flash delay timer this will allow you to control the type of image you are capturing. 1/64 will give you around the equivalent of a 1/30000 shutter speed when using bulb in a darkened room, with full power you will get around the 1/1000 mark.

Yes your quite right a lower power will give you a shorter flash duration and less power. When used with a flash delay timer this will allow you to control the type of image you are capturing. 1/64 will give you around the equivalent of a 1/30000 shutter speed when using bulb in a darkened room, with full power you will get around the 1/1000 mark.

Thanks everyone I was referring to the flash duration :clap: and thanks Paul that answers the question nicely (y)

Steve

The "Varipower" adaptor that I have is named as VP1 for use on the VIV 283. It is only a pot with a scale 1 to 1/32 power. The price was 6.95 then. I also have one for my VIVITAR 365l, that is vp2.

Back