High Strength ND slot filters?

Edit My Images
No
I've found the B&W 10 stop ND filters over at WE but these are screw-ins. Does anyone make slot in ND filters of similar strengths? I only ask as screwing on/off a filter each time, especially an expensive one, doesn't sound ideal when a slot-in would speed and ease the whole process along somewhat... anyone?

Its not ideal, ive been having a look too and noticed that hi tech make filters to order, nt sure how much they are.

whay don't you just stack two weaker ND together to get the same effect?

vignetting AND loss of image quality ...the more you put in front of the lens the more you reduce the overall quality of light

I don't think there is; I take it it's a full ND (i.e. not graduated) If it is then I think you'll be better off with a glass screw in as the slot ins tend to be resin and are at risk of getting scratched, although Lee do have some glass slot ins but they are VERY expensive and IIRC the largest is a 3 stop.

You should only need to get 1 filter - just make sure you get the the filtersize of your largest lens (prob 77mm) and get step up rings for the others to the right size.

I use a 3 stop, 6 stop and 12ish stop for my Lee filter kit. They are custom made. Staking the 3 and 6 stop ones works pretty well and causes no vignetting, the 12 stop however causes extreme colour casting and flaring. I don't mind the colour casting so much as most of the shots end up in B&W, but the flare is a real issue. Ive put off using the filters for now until I get a lens hood (which for a Lee setup is silly expensive). I also think I need some sort of cloth or hood to extend back over the filters to stop light bouncing around between the filters. With hindsight I think my B&W ND10 screw on works better even if it is a bit more fiddly as its lighttight around the mounting. I'll probably end up selling the 52mm one I have and get a 77mm one to replace it. Hope that helps. :)

cheers for info on those. I'd love to move to lee filters at some stage but as you note cost is quite high! mind you, camera gear itself is costly and high quality too so why not use the best there possibly is for a filter?...

I bought the SLR Starter kit from Lee at Focus on the weekend. I haven't really used any other filters (other than CPL's but that doesn't count) but I have to admit that the quality of Lee Filters is outstanding. I can't wait to use them soon :)

Back