HiTi P510K Photo Kiosk System - Any views?

dod

TPer Emeritus
Name
Ebenezer McScrooge III
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been looking at printers and this looks attractive for a number of reasons. Anyone got any experience of actually using one?

I got a p510s and rate it as a printer, can be upset by the computer going funny though which a kiosk should avoid, if you'd like to test quality I'll print n post a jpeg for ya

my previous laptop, if you attempt to cancel a print job it got confused and you needed to reboot laptop and printer then reinstall the printer, but that laptop was always a PITA with printers so its not the biggest issue in the world. Not known it with new laptop but haven't cancelled any print jobs on it either

The K is certainly a better bet than the 510S with the smaller screen. It is worth bearing in mind that this kit is more ideally suited to a retail enviroment.

Depends really on what you are using it for.

nb the screen on the S doesn't display the image to print or the filename, making print from card only reallly valid if either you want all the photos printed or there is one photo, I've always used it as a way to have the printer out of the way when not on events/doing aftersales

David,

sounds to me as if the screen is more novelty value than use - certainly sounds like the DNP DSA1 which has a 10" screen would be a better choice if you want an all in one solution - not my choice but may suit some.

Mike

I don't use the screen on it, unless Dod is david too :p

If you are looking at getting a dye sub printer, then my best suggestion is that you look at everything on the market. A larger bulk of the printers out there are designed to work with laptops and PC's, so the only things missing there comapred to the HiTi510 is the card reading ability, the workflow bit and the screen - which you can effectively replicate on the PC.

Obviously this type of printer is not a consumer product ( although the technology is available in domestic units by people like Canon and Kodak), brands that are out there currently include ( in no particular order) Kodak, Fuji, Sony , Mitsubishi , DNP ( Dai Nippon), and of course Hiti.

David,

suggest you re-read my comments (I am not confused they were directed at you), you have purchased a printer with a screen on it that you dont use for the reasons stated, hence why I said about it being a novelty, which it certainly is in the world of event photography. You have effectively paid for something you dont use.

Mike

David,

suggest you re-read my comments (I am not confused they were directed at you), you have purchased a printer with a screen on it that you dont use for the reasons stated, hence why I said about it being a novelty, which it certainly is in the world of event photography. You have effectively paid for something you dont use.

Mike

I was confused Mike, don't know what Dods name is, I didn't buy it for the screen, I bought it for its weight cost and print quality. The screen is good for giving it instructions when its not attached to a computer, cleaning it ect but its about the same usefulness as the screen on the front of my dell office printer that tells me when it needs ink/paper.

Having paid for something I don't use thats like a birding photographer being cross that the 7d has a pop up commander flash because he never uses it, despite buying the camera for its autofocus iso performance and high pixel density

Thanks for all the comments guys and apologies for not replying. I've been up to the eyes in one of my other businesses this last week.

However, I've made a decision and bought a 730PS. Reason being the reviews are all positive, our events season is ending shortly so this avoids laying out decent money to sit idle, the price was right :p This lets me dip a toe in and see what works etc. I don't really see this as a final solution but it should be a good tester.

Also got the media ordered today :p

Back