Hobby use, light-tent or backdrop

Edit My Images
Yes
I am hoping to take some photos, for fun mainly, will be of some trophies and an orchid/some flowers to start with. This orchid is ~70cm tall.

Don't really want to spend hundreds (not on the backgrounds etc. but if going the whole hog into flashes then will).

Have in the past, taken them against the floor (wood laminate) or walls (erm, yellow) and would like something a little, nicer.

Currently I don't have a flash (apart from the 400d one), but am thinking that it would be nice to play with one.

So I am thinking it would be nice to get some sort of nice background for the orchid shot at least. It is a white orchid, so I reckon a nice black would set it off nicely. I could put this on in post-processing, but it would be nice to get the shots off first-off.

Would I be better off do you think, getting a cheap 80cm light tent (ebay seems to be around £20 all in, but is 80cm big enough or too restrictive, this is the largest I have seen).
Or, getting a full-length backdrop, which could be used for other things (with either a stand, or jury-rig a stand, someone had a good-looking plumber-pipe based stand on here). Unfortunately all the sheets I have access to at the moment, are kinda yellow (or there is a pink one!).

Have you thought about the old 'material' shop?

Buy a black background in there cotton would be ideal.

You can buy it by the metre.

That is certainly an option, I was wondering whether the light-tent would have the added benefit of softer light (esp. on the trophies), or whether an 'official' backdrop would produce a nicer effect.
Kinda mixed-up questions really.

depending on the flash i suppose what the light will be like.

What about a dark towel or bedsheet? something you already have in the house........ie cheap!

I bought some A1 sheets of white and black card from the craft shop for taking photos of ebay stuff! Cheap and looks clean. Tried the bed sheet but didnt come out smooth enough.

Back