Holga's and Lomo's!

one last thing, E6 slide film is usually designated by the "chrome" suffix on film makes is it not? for example I've seen "Ektachrome" and that says that it's Colour reversal which means it's slide obviously but does the suffix apply to all films?

Nope - that's just Kodak's branding. To be sure, look on the packaging for E6 or CR.56 for transparency stock.

Well - if you're buying E6 film, to get it processed in C41 chemicals, after a bit of experimentation i've found that...

Velvia 50 - horrible redshift look - looks like Berserk Mode in DOOM video game.
Provia 100 - fairly strong blue/green-shift to colours, far nicer than Velvia
Provia 400 - pronounced greenshift, can get a bit "image intensifier", but nice if you can get strong reds into the shot

Sadly, most of my testing notes with Kodak E6 film were destroyed when I had a Blix-Spillage incident, but generally I found that the X-Pro effects weren't as wild, and generally were more useable... Of course, this isn't an exact science, and as our former colonial cousins say YMMV. :)

cameramad said:
that's a point, I've seen some Holga/Lomo images that look like normal pics and others that have the cross-processed effect on them. how is that achieved? I know how it's done in darkroom using different chemicals but how would you go about sending your film in?

Do I have to purchase the special Lomo film in order to achieve the Lomo effect or can any film be used and then developed in typical C41 at the lab in order to get the Lomo effect?

That "lomo" film is just out of date Superia, all their branded films are just relabled film. Just get out of date film off eBay, by be careful though sometimes the prices are higher than the fresh stuff!

A lot of places will not cross process film as it contaminates the developer, stop and fix which can affect other peoples film when developing. They have to dump all of them so you can see why.

This place will do cross processing for an extra £1.25 per film, if not then Peak Imaging will do it for an extra fee. Once for a bit of fun I had Peak cross process C-41 film in E-6 with a 3 stop push (as C-41 film is low contrast) using out of date Kodak Ultra Max 800. The resulting slides had an orange cast on most of them due to the orange mask on the film, but some actually looked quite good, almost like ordinary pictures.

http://www.photofilmprocessing.co.uk/lomographyfilmprocessing.html

Last edited:
If you have your own scanner, cross processing a film at Genie Images is only £1.99 for processing and £1.20 premium for the cross process, which is still reasonably cheap.

Back